What's new
What's new

Need Help Identifying Drill Press

reodds

Plastic
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and just picked up a bench type drill press. It has a label on it that reads Triplex Machine Tool Co, NYC, no other identifying marks. It appears all original except the power switch. It has a single piece spindle with a Jacobs #1 taper that is not removable. I'd appreciate any and all info you have on the machine.

Here are a few pictures - IMG_0150.jpgIMG_0151.jpgIMG_0154.jpg.

Thanks for your help!

Roger

Don't be surprised if the thread is locked as that is a very cheap home shop piece. Single speed !! ,kinda a step up from the things they sold years ago where you clamped a 1/4" electric drill in.

Triplex was a machine tool dealer in NYC years ago. The drill press, with all due respect to JohnEvans, appears to be a small "sensitive" drill press rather than a "home shop piece". These smaller sensitive drills were made to run at high spindle speeds and were often used in production drilling operations. Sigourney made a similar design of drill press, if I am not mistaken. This particular drill press could have been a WWII era machine tool, as quite a lot of these small sensitive drill presses were built for use in defense industries during WWII. Triplex was a machine tool dealer who sold machine tools from a wide range of manufacturers. I had a Burke Number 4 Mill with their dealer's plate on it. Triplex was located in the old "Machine Tool District" of Manhattan, an area of a few square blocks around Centre St, Lafayette St, and Canal Street.

That’s no home shop grade machine. It is a Hamilton Sensitive Drill Press. I have a fancier one with a neat variable-speed rubber cone drive. My came from Mare Island Navy Yard when it closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the info. Yeh, it doesn't seem like a "hobby" tyoe of press. It's massive and weighs more than 100 lbs. Does anyone know where I can find more info about the machine,such as motor and spindle specs? Also if there is a way to change the taper on the spindle so that I can use larger (1/2") capacity chucks?

Thanks again for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Roger

Also if there is a way to change the taper on the spindle so that I can use larger (1/2") capacity chucks?

Get another drill press to get to 1/2" capacity.

I'll wager if you did get a 1/2" drill chuck on it, it won't have the speed slow enough, nor enough torque to drive it.

Get another drill press to get to 1/2" capacity.

I'll wager if you did get a 1/2" drill chuck on it, it won't have the speed slow enough, nor enough torque to drive it.

I happen to have a Buffalo Forge Junior, but it was modified by someone, and have to figure out hoe to power it. The lower pulley is no longer in place, and I'm not sure how to mount a motor to it that will be tension adjustable.

Roger

OOOH !! Dope slap with egg on face !! That home brew belt guard threw me off I Think! I own a Hamilton ,just went out to the shop and dug it out . That is what yours is for sure. Wish mine was a vari speed. But can't complain toooo much as it was free. Had a Dumore which IMO was not as well made,as it did not have a quill but rather the table elevated.A bit of wear on the table slide surfaces equaled broken bits under 1/16 or so. I have drilled .25MM holes in mild steet with the Hamilton.

Back