need help identifying lathe.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default need help identifying lathe.

Hi everyone,
    im new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.im new to lathes so i thought i would buy something small to mess around with so i picked this one up from ebay but the seller didnt know the make either.ive not received it yet so only got pics to go on any info would be great(what the levers do,chuck thread size etc)i would like to put a slightly bigger chuck on if possible also i have a 1/3 hp motor off a pillar drill to go on it .would that be big enough.thanks in advance.
    Cant seem to upload pics atm but if anyone wants to look at it the item number on ebay uk is 110824505867.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kgrhqv-ose8vqw-wnvbpo-neq6h-60_12.jpg   kgrhqf-qee8w-ifc-bpo-odybsq-60_12.jpg  
    Last edited by stevet330; 02-16-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Appearance resembles the early Sears Craftsman (Atlas) or Dunlop 6 inch (3 inch in UK) swing machines, neither of which may be discussed here.

Tom B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not so sure about that "he who cannot be named" designation. The lever below the headstock I've not seen before.

For such a lathe a 1/3 hp should work just fine. Just be sure to get the correct "turn down" and try not to turn the spindle too fast.

Somewhere on the 'net is information on existing lathes of similar produced sizes which will tell you spindle speeds. You could look at VintageMachinery.org | Welcome for (vintagemachine.org) and find one similar in size. Likely someone has loaded a catalog cut over there which tells spindle speeds.

Hope this helps. We try to help when we can.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It might be AA products. Definitely not craftsman. I have seen variants of the
    AA products lathes that really do legitimately defy the ban here, as they are vintage
    enough to slide in under the wire.

This one, if AA, is a very rare version with a different spindle than the usual version.
    Those tended to have v-ways whereas this seems to be flat ways. It's not an atlas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's no kind of AA that I have ever heard of.... all that stuff on the headstock is just unknown for those, and, as mentioned, they had V-ways....

is the back side of headstock open? That would make it more likely to be some rare form of the unmentionables, , but doesn't explain the rest of teh odd stuff.

Rear view?

Shot of carriage and crosslide?

ANY view not from way up overhead?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the replys and info guys.sorry i didnt know about any makes being banned.the lever on the front slows the spindle down by about half at a guess but i cant figure out what the lever on the back does.ill go out to the garage now and take some close ups to see if that will help.thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

photos as promised.ive removed the spindle to get a backplate machined to take a slightly larger chuck (80mm) as it only has a 50mm on and its not big enough.i think the thread is 5/8 x 11 tpi if that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr_102_size640.jpg   fr_104_size640.jpg   fr_106_size640.jpg   fr_108_size640.jpg   fr_110_size640.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

more photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr_112_size640.jpg   fr_114_size640.jpg   fr_116_size640.jpg   fr_118_size640.jpg   fr_120_size640.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe is correct--definitely not Atlas or Dunlap as I had thought before from the first pictures.

Tom B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The OP is in the UK. That opens up a whole host of small makers that may be totally forgotten, though I swear I have seen some old pics of a lathe with that 'thing' sticking out of the top of the headstock...

allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that thing on the headstock is strange,looks like some sort of mount for something? i would be interested in anybodys thoughts on the lever on the back.The end of it twists and locks the screw so it can only go in one direction (away from the headstock)but apart from that i cant figure out its purpose as i just sort of flops about on the pulley shaft(maybe something missing) if anyones got anything similar on a lathe id like to see some pics so i could try and figure it out.Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The large lever on the back screams "eccentric follower" to me.....

if you take that thought and connect it with the ratchet looking device, you might come up with the doggondest feed mechanism I can think of.... an eccentric advance similar to a shaper, running the leadscrew presumably.

I'd give odds that the plunger can be lifted and turned 180 deg so that it can also feed the other way. Kinda like a pipe threaded ratchet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ive just been to the garage to try that and your hunch is correct.the plunger does turn 180 and locks in the other direction.taking a second look it would seem that it needs some sort of pin machining into the back of the pulley to drive the mechanism ?

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Identification

[QUOTE=stevet330;1756514]Hi everyone,
    im new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.im new to lathes so i thought i would buy something small to mess around with so i picked this one up from ebay but the seller didnt know the make either.ive not received it

It's an AM / Damaco

Page Title

and http://www.lathes.co.uk/am/page2.html

An interesting and unusual machine...

Best wishes,

Tony

15. Likes franco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default a big thankyou

fantastic thanks Tony all the info i needed and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,I’ve just aquired the same lathe,it’s a Damaco 5.
    The turret on the top is for a grinding attachment.
    I need to see inside the headstock as my bits are missing.and also the end where the cam lever is.any chance of more detailed pictures?
    Kind regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a couple of shots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69187de6-a970-42eb-be7c-04f28afa54c7.jpg   a142c811-86a0-4ecd-9c83-5e66868cb017.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here you are:

Damco & AM Lathes

Note the fairly large Vee belt pulley on the lathe in one of the photos, presumably to reduce the input speed from a 1425 RPM motor to maybe 350/450 RPM at the lathe.

franco