What's new
What's new

need help identifying lathe.

stevet330

Plastic
Hi everyone,
im new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.im new to lathes so i thought i would buy something small to mess around with so i picked this one up from ebay but the seller didnt know the make either.ive not received it yet so only got pics to go on any info would be great(what the levers do,chuck thread size etc)i would like to put a slightly bigger chuck on if possible also i have a 1/3 hp motor off a pillar drill to go on it .would that be big enough.thanks in advance.
Cant seem to upload pics atm but if anyone wants to look at it the item number on ebay uk is 110824505867.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!osE8VqW(WNvBPO!NeQ6h!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!osE8VqW(WNvBPO!NeQ6h!~~60_12.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 365
  • $(KGrHqF,!qEE8W()iFc,BPO!ODYBSQ~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!qEE8W()iFc,BPO!ODYBSQ~~60_12.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that "he who cannot be named" designation. The lever below the headstock I've not seen before.

For such a lathe a 1/3 hp should work just fine. Just be sure to get the correct "turn down" and try not to turn the spindle too fast.

Somewhere on the 'net is information on existing lathes of similar produced sizes which will tell you spindle speeds. You could look at VintageMachinery.org | Welcome for (vintagemachine.org) and find one similar in size. Likely someone has loaded a catalog cut over there which tells spindle speeds.

Hope this helps. We try to help when we can.

Joe

It might be AA products. Definitely not craftsman. I have seen variants of the
AA products lathes that really do legitimately defy the ban here, as they are vintage
enough to slide in under the wire.

This one, if AA, is a very rare version with a different spindle than the usual version.
Those tended to have v-ways whereas this seems to be flat ways. It's not an atlas.

It's no kind of AA that I have ever heard of.... all that stuff on the headstock is just unknown for those, and, as mentioned, they had V-ways....

is the back side of headstock open? That would make it more likely to be some rare form of the unmentionables, , but doesn't explain the rest of teh odd stuff.

Rear view?

Shot of carriage and crosslide?

ANY view not from way up overhead?.

thanks for the replys and info guys.sorry i didnt know about any makes being banned.the lever on the front slows the spindle down by about half at a guess but i cant figure out what the lever on the back does.ill go out to the garage now and take some close ups to see if that will help.thanks again.

photos as promised.ive removed the spindle to get a backplate machined to take a slightly larger chuck (80mm) as it only has a 50mm on and its not big enough.i think the thread is 5/8 x 11 tpi if that helps.

Attachments

• fr_102_size640.jpg
    fr_102_size640.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 199
  • fr_104_size640.jpg
    fr_104_size640.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 189
  • fr_106_size640.jpg
    fr_106_size640.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 177
  • fr_108_size640.jpg
    fr_108_size640.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 172
  • fr_110_size640.jpg
    fr_110_size640.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 153
more photos

Attachments

• fr_112_size640.jpg
    fr_112_size640.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 187
  • fr_114_size640.jpg
    fr_114_size640.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 157
  • fr_116_size640.jpg
    fr_116_size640.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 164
  • fr_118_size640.jpg
    fr_118_size640.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 192
  • fr_120_size640.jpg
    fr_120_size640.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 150
The OP is in the UK. That opens up a whole host of small makers that may be totally forgotten, though I swear I have seen some old pics of a lathe with that 'thing' sticking out of the top of the headstock...

allan

Yes that thing on the headstock is strange,looks like some sort of mount for something? i would be interested in anybodys thoughts on the lever on the back.The end of it twists and locks the screw so it can only go in one direction (away from the headstock)but apart from that i cant figure out its purpose as i just sort of flops about on the pulley shaft(maybe something missing) if anyones got anything similar on a lathe id like to see some pics so i could try and figure it out.Thanks in advance,

Steve.

The large lever on the back screams "eccentric follower" to me.....

if you take that thought and connect it with the ratchet looking device, you might come up with the doggondest feed mechanism I can think of.... an eccentric advance similar to a shaper, running the leadscrew presumably.

I'd give odds that the plunger can be lifted and turned 180 deg so that it can also feed the other way. Kinda like a pipe threaded ratchet.

ive just been to the garage to try that and your hunch is correct.the plunger does turn 180 and locks in the other direction.taking a second look it would seem that it needs some sort of pin machining into the back of the pulley to drive the mechanism ?

Steve.

Identification

Hi everyone,
im new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.im new to lathes so i thought i would buy something small to mess around with so i picked this one up from ebay but the seller didnt know the make either.ive not received it

It's an AM / Damaco

Page Title

and http://www.lathes.co.uk/am/page2.html

An interesting and unusual machine...

Best wishes,

Tony

Hello,I’ve just aquired the same lathe,it’s a Damaco 5.
The turret on the top is for a grinding attachment.
I need to see inside the headstock as my bits are missing.and also the end where the cam lever is.any chance of more detailed pictures?
Kind regards.

Here are a couple of shots

Attachments

• 69187DE6-A970-42EB-BE7C-04F28AFA54C7.jpg
    69187DE6-A970-42EB-BE7C-04F28AFA54C7.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 72
  • A142C811-86A0-4ECD-9C83-5E66868CB017.jpg
    A142C811-86A0-4ECD-9C83-5E66868CB017.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 58

Back