What's new
What's new

need help identifying machinery

Dlittle01

Plastic
I am helping to clean out my fathers shop. There is a metal lathe and a Peerless saw mill that both belonged to my grandfather. Any help identifying them and some advice on value and a marketplace to sell them would be great.
Thank you!

Attachments

• jT4re+GVSQC5mUpM27xfVQ.jpg
    jT4re+GVSQC5mUpM27xfVQ.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 231
  • PcAD%vRAQWqAMxRxkjCV2Q.jpg
    PcAD%vRAQWqAMxRxkjCV2Q.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 214
  • pBIhp97NR0S0LPDp9or1KA.jpg
    pBIhp97NR0S0LPDp9or1KA.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 196
  • LgUxwlPvTJe3e4rm6f%IrA.jpg
    LgUxwlPvTJe3e4rm6f%IrA.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 200
  • hTqn2g4VRlq%edMvjf80Dg.jpg
    hTqn2g4VRlq%edMvjf80Dg.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 209
I am helping to clean out my fathers shop. There is a metal lathe and a Peerless saw mill that both belonged to my grandfather. Any help identifying them and some advice on value and a marketplace to sell them would be great.
Thank you!

Yer G'Dad bought wisely. Both were good "in their day" and brute-simple, so neither are all that costly to put back into service. "Fast" they are no longer, however.

Ergo the present-day commercial value isn't even quantifiable.

You'd need a hobbyist or "wish I had a larger/longer lathe" welding / repair shop inspired by a shortage of anything more modern in the local area. Given a new blade, the Peerless might still cut as fast as most any other power hacksaw - most of which were replaced by bandsaws ages ago.

PM is about a good a place as any to find someone willing to take these on as a "project". It may take "a while", before one passes by, though.

I am in Reno. The equipment is in Northern California (Grass Valley). Didn't think it had much value, but would like to find them a good home. There is also a giant Cincinnati drill press from around the same time frame.

Attachments

• RZ6XvweoTS6Qa6V3CcbTIw.jpg
    RZ6XvweoTS6Qa6V3CcbTIw.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 140
  • ZRTcY1%gSxuqX4T0wC9OLg.jpg
    ZRTcY1%gSxuqX4T0wC9OLg.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 126
  • ADfpUsvgRkigYFFdpClfMg.jpg
    ADfpUsvgRkigYFFdpClfMg.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 124
What would be important to help the sale of these fine old tools is to be sure to keep all the random bits of tooling with the machines. Chucks, steadies, toolholders etc with the lathe, drill bits and vise with the drill press. Is there a chuck for it? Duplicate sizes of drill bit could go to the lathe pile, if they fit in the tailstock.
If all are in good working order and not badly rusted I would guess the hacksaw and drill press are under $500, drill press closer to $500 and lathe could be $1000 if it is well tooled, priced with the others if not. I did see a loose chuck in on of the pics.
Having these all running to show prospective buyers is also a BIG plus.

In the first picture in the first post, there is a frame laying on its side by the tail end of the lathe. I wonder if it is a support for long stock being cut in the hacksaw. As was said, it is nice to sort out what loose stuff goes with each machine.

Was Gramps a basketball player? That lathe drum switch (forward-off-reverse) seems awfully high off the ground.

Larry

Back