What's new
What's new

Need help identifying old Lorch lathe model

3dfreelancer

Plastic
I have recently aquired this old Lorch metal Lathe:

https://images.guloggratis.dk/63/39507463_491_326_0_0_0_0.jpg

I payed the equivalent of $250 - which is prabably way too much since is was totally dismantled and important parts a missing - but I can't wait to restore and use it.

I have tried to the best of my ability to find that model online. I would really like to find the catalog from Lorch where it is listed and the model to track down compatible accessories.

On the bed below the pinol there is only a serial number (103075) and a deep worn groove (probably form the pinol). The cross slide is a not original to this lathe Wolf Jahn - and because of that the thread chasing bar does not work as it is now.

On the inside of the cover below the head stock the letters "AIII 16" are cast. The only mentioning of a Lorch AIII I can find is on a plate of Collet sizes - here the model is specifically in the "AI" series.

On Lathes + Machine Tool Archive the only model which fits the size is the AIIP Chasing Lathe. With a bed lenght of 800 mm and 405 mm between centers. So my uneducated guess is that the AIII is the non-chasing version of this model but I need some kind of confirmation.

So any pointers to which Lorch catalog to get or which parts fits the model would be super helpful.

IMG_3543.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3545.jpg

I can post more pictures when I have fetched the lathe!

Michael

I have never seen that sort of Lorch lathe in the USA, but have seen a few Lorch watchmaker lathes.

As for your slide rest, I once wanted to adapt a 1946 model Hardinge slide rest to cut screw threads. The older model Hardinge slide rests had extensions on the longitudinal feed screw for attaching the universal joint, but Hardinge stopped that practice in 1946. So I bored the end of the feed screw and silver brazed an extension to it, and machined the extension to match the dimensions of the older feed screw ends. I also fitted a guide bushing to the slide rest to keep the universal joint from whipping. Here are some pictures.

Larry

DSC01325.jpg DSC01332.jpg 40TPI single reduction.jpg DSC01330.jpg

Hi Larry

Thank you for that and for the super pictures. Very helpful for me and I really appreciate the help. Also a beautiful lathe!

Michael

Michael, Did you manage to identify your Lorch lathe?
I have some old Lorch catalogues and your picture looks like the Precision Screw-Cuttin Lathe Type AVIRG but according to the catalogue that has a bed length of 800mm and a centre distance of 280mm. See picture attached. Contact me if you would like the catalogue file.
Old Softie

Type AVIRG.jpg

Dear Old Softie

I never really did manage to identify it. I see many similarities in your picture to my lathe but also some differences.
I would really like the catalogue file! That would be most helpful!

Michael

I’d post quadruple what you did for it. I highly regret selling my lorch. The best machine I’ve ever laid my hands on. And I own Habegger, schaublin, levin and more. My lorch was superior in all angles. I hope you get that beauty running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back