What's new
What's new

Need help identifying old USSR mini lathe

Hi
Im going to buy my first mini lathe.I found this old USSR lathe wich seems to be ok for my demands and dosent take too much space but I dont know model or the manufacturer. Anny help is welcome.
Here are some links
Tokarski stroj | INDEX OGLASI
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Can't see a lot of point in "identifying it". What Hodge said seems so.

Just go buy it, haul it home, figure it out from the actual metal right under your hands and eyes.

Sort of a "3-D" blueprint actual metal can be.

Go figure.

It's cute. No compound slide? Looks like you can rotate the tool holder but not move the tool holder independent of the cross slide.

Interesting little lathe, buy it! In watching YT I've seen some pretty interesting Soviet machinery, surprising that nobody imports it to the US.

"Real Soviet" era, USA didn't make it easy. Canada was more pragmatic and did import.

Not much of it was ever actually "Russian", BTW. Other East bloc, far more often. Eg: East German, Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian the most common.

Much the same as the USSR used internally and in combination, military hardware included.

It's cute. No compound slide? Looks like you can rotate the tool holder but not move the tool holder independent of the cross slide.

Compound is there, it is set parallel to the z axis so kind of hidden.

Agree it looks very interesting.

It's a neat little thing. The leadscrew must be down in the middle of the bed. Clearly a small production lathe, rather than a true engine or toolroom lathe, but still looks pretty darn useful. I'd like to have one! :D

Doc.

Looks like a nice little machine.

[Aside: I was wondering why the language on that sales site was so familiar, but different, so I looked up country code "hr". Croatia. Didn't realize Croatian was so similar to Czech and Slovak.]

Anyway, the cantilever bed (but certainly not the base) reminds me of the Litton Q lathe that was discussed on PM about 3 years ago. Threads here and here.

Interesting design. IMO there's a lot of redundant engineering out there that re-invents the wheel, but sometimes they get some interesting new concepts. Most lathes seem to be built on the idea of "put the part on a bed with centers.... now add everything else."
This one's idea is "Ok, here's a spindle.... now add everything else."

Back