What's new
What's new

Need help posting photos on the PM of a decent size

rivett608

Diamond
I simply do not under how the photo posting works anymore! In the "Pretty Wing Nuts" thread I posted photos of wing nuts and they came out fine, I did them on my MacBook. I know if I do them from my iPad they come out small and I hate small photos. I just posted photos of a wing nut necklace, taking them exactly the same way and posting them the same way and they come out tiny. WHY?

I am so pissed off about this, first photo bucket, which was so easy screwed me, I had something like 5000 photos in various accounts on the web and they have all been blurred. Now just when I think I have this figured out I don't. What am doing wrong?

I have tons of cool stuff I would love to post and share here but it has to be reasonably easy. BTW, I am totally MAC based, don't own or even know how to turn on a PC.

Help Please, thank you in advance and have a Happy New Year.

I am totally MAC based, don't own or even know how to turn on a PC.
Nothing to do with your computer, it's how the photos are handled on this website.

If you "attach" a photo when you write the post, it makes the thumbnails that you don't like. They aren't really that bad - if you use Firefox then put the cursor on the photo, click both buttons simultaneously there will be a popup menu. One choice is "open image in another tab". I'll click all the photos I am interested in and open them in separate tabs to look at fullsize.

The fullsize-inpost method is more difficult. The photos for that need to be already somewhere on the internet. Then in your post you put a link to that photo, similar to

[image] put here the url of where the photo is [/image]

The true tag is "img" but if I use that, then the text will disappear, thinking there is supposed to be a photo there. But in this example, there isn't :)

This is more work and you have to have a place to put the fullsize photos. ftp used to work good for this but I do not know if there are any free ftp places left ? Sometimes worth the trouble, sometimes not. Up to you.

Uninformed speculation follows - it is possible that up to a certain size the site shows the photo fullsize. Then if it gets bigger the software will thumbnail it. I have noticed that sometimes a smaller photo will show up bigger, and assumed it was some mechanism like this. If this is true, then there is a cutoff size where big photos will become small. But I have never tested this theory, so you're on your own there unless someone else has :)

Help Please, thank you in advance and have a Happy New Year.
Happy mouse year to you as well :)

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!

I just tried this using Firefox and it worked fine! So the issue must be between the PM and software and Safari. Now I just have to remember to use Firefox for my PM postings.

I place my pictures(already the right size ) in my album here on PM
And then copy and paste the BBcode in the tekst
So no chance they get lost here on PM besides PM going down

Peter

More tests

It looks like it works! Thank You!

Used EPA111's instructions (thank you John) with firefox, was able to drag the photos and did not have to resize them. I tried it with Safari and did have to resize. So now the trick is for me to remember this and get back in the habit of posting.

attachment.php

Used EPA111's instructions (thank you John) with firefox, was able to drag the photos and did not have to resize them. I tried it with Safari and did have to resize.
Interesting. This is the "remote url" method, except from within the site. If you use the "attach" method from within the site, you get the thumbnails.

Devious little electrons :)

When you are in the edit/post window, double click on the thumbnail and a new menu will appear. It gives you a choice of what size thumbnail to show, or to show it full size, and where in the post to display it (right, left, etc).

I've been using the Taptalk app on my phone, and it WAS working great. Full size batch uploads were no problem. In fact, in a couple of my posts, members even commented how good my camera was.

However, now taptalk has added a taptalk VIP membership. So the basic app is free, but only allows uploading pics one at a time, and you have to select reduced size of medium or small.

If you pay for VIP status, you get the full size capability back, and batch uploads. I think its $29 a year, or there abouts.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I tested the site with the same jpeg of different sizes. Tried to get the sizes pretty small. I included the best viewing jpeg.
The other three jpeg assets were supposed to be removed after 24 hours if not used. Those three unused jpeg files are still there.

"Uploads not utilized within one hour will be deleted" does not work.

A little observation when scrolling, a bunch of embedded pictures in a post can be annoying when the user has a slow connection. Thumbnails are better.

Glad you got this picture issue solved rivett608. I've always enjoyed your vintage tool collection pics and your presentation of them. PB really messed up with their changes, all across the internet. Many of your previous posts here are useless despite the effort that you put into them.

When you are in the edit/post window, double click on the thumbnail and a new menu will appear. It gives you a choice of what size thumbnail to show, or to show it full size, and where in the post to display it (right, left, etc).

Please elaborate. I can't get this to work.

This is simply nothing more than a test. For some reason I've not been able to post pictures. I changed browsers and apparently that has corrected the problem but I don't understand why.

Brent

20190823_073025.jpg

Just a note for those uploading to their PM albums and posting the BB link. Your pics will only be visible to members or if youre logged in.

Cheers
D

Back