What's new
What's new

Need help with Pratt & Whitney Star-Turn 1800 Lathe

Leon Sidursky

Plastic
Im really hoping you guys can help me on this because I don't have a manual and any technical info on this machine is more or less non-existent.

We are moving our P&W lathe to another one of our shops and we need to ship it. Do any of you know the weight of this machine?

Pratt & Whitney Star-Turn 1800 Lathe

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Im really hoping you guys can help me on this because I don't have a manual and any technical info on this machine is more or less non-existent.

We are moving our P&W lathe to another one of our shops and we need to ship it. Do any of you know the weight of this machine?

Pratt & Whitney Star-Turn 1800 Lathe

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Googled that, have you?

Ring-up these folks. They rebuilt two in a row about 2 years back, and had to have moved them about:

Out with the New, In with the Old - Peiffer Machine Services

P&W Star Turn? Really? I scrapped one of those at least 25 years ago. Get with the times! Are you running punched paper tape? I may still have some literature around here somewhere on that thing. I’ll look next couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P&W Star Turn? Really? I scrapped one of those at least 25 years ago. Get with the times! Are you running punched paper tape? I may still have some literature around here somewhere on that thing. I’ll look next couple days.

We got it free to run a specific job ages ago and it still makes money so we keep it around. I'd greatly appreciate any info you have to share. Thank you.

I wonder if that number is accurate. Could you post a photo of the machine? Mine wasn’t that heavy but maybe I had a different model. I moved mine with a 25,000 or 30,000 lb capacity lumber yard forklift. I’d guess 18,000 to 20,000 pounds.

I reconfirmed with them and they say it’s between 40,000 and 42,000 lbs. I’ll take a pic once we have it in the parking lot. I can’t take pics and post online in the shop. It’s a big machine.

P&W Machine Tool certainly had the wherewithal to handle such - considerably earlier they were selling SIXTY ton machines such as here

Attachments

• Circular No. 495  BG3  M1721.jpg
    Circular No. 495 BG3 M1721.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 106
  • M1721 Specs.jpg
    M1721 Specs.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 55
We have a rigging company coming in today. Our in house rigger doesn’t have the machinery to move it. He was trying to move it out of its spot yesterday to get it ready for today and the 30,000lb Hoist wouldn’t budge it.

This is the first time we have moved it 25 years.

Last edited:

Back