What's new
What's new

Need info on old lathes, type,value

flyguysr5

Plastic
Have 2 lathes in my hanger that I need info on and trying to determine value. The guy that used them passed away. Can anyone help me? Can send more pics if needed.8CD19463-48FB-4E15-A9FA-8110197527DE.jpg09C8F04D-B716-4840-B419-9E2225CA5AA5.jpg8559C57F-F8FA-4B63-812A-061EE7C335E8.jpg

Second lathe
090C497A-C85F-4951-BC64-1C4DFE71E577.jpg
42692906-2685-4982-B5A7-5F9BFDB9CF00.jpg

I have hard time to see enough details from your pictures.
The first lathe is a relatively early Hardinge Cataract "split bed" second operation lathe with a turret tailstock. I am not an expert in these lathes. If still working fine, possibly, the turret tailstock is worth more than the rest of the lathe, but we're talking at most low-mid three digit prices.
The second lathe is either a 11" or a 13" Sheldon, probably with the extended range quick-change gearbox. The serial number, located near the far right side of the bed between the two front ways would tell more about when it was made and what model is.
If still in good working conditions, depending upon the tooling present (e.g. steady rest, follow rest, collet closer and C5 collets, etc.), it could be worth up to $1500-2000, if you take your don't need to sell it in a hurry, you find somebody who knows about Sheldon lathes and is desperate to get one. Otherwise, $8-900 could be a fair price to get it out of the way ASAP.

Paolo

Those are both quality machines.
It is hard to see the small pics, did you use a cellphone camera to take them? Try with a real camera and some more angles as well.
The amount of extra tooling and accessories has a good amount to determine their value.
Condition being the other.
You should spray them down with oil to slow any rusting. Also if there is rust on the sliding parts (ways) do not move things around, that just grinds rust into the machine rapidly adding un-needed wear.
In good condition with an assortment of accessories they could be worth more $$.
Paolo's prices seem to be on the low end, but with those prices you should be able to sell them FAST.

I collect Hardinge Cataract lathes and would be glad to have some of the under-65 pound packageable parts for a few hundred bucks. (Headstock, tailstock, turret, slide rest and any other small items, but not the bed) But I am not interested in driving a truck to Texas to get the whole thing.

Larry

I collect Hardinge Cataract lathes and would be glad to have some of the under-65 pound packageable parts for a few hundred bucks. (Headstock, tailstock, turret, slide rest and any other small items, but not the bed) But I am not interested in driving a truck to Texas to get the whole thing.

Larry

"Air Mail"....:D

Thanks for the reply. Do not know why my pics showed up so small will take some more and try to repost. Will also try to look thru the tooling and sort out what is there. I do not think much.

Back