What's new
What's new

Need information on a Hendey lathe

Aplater

Plastic
Hello,

I have already sent a message to Hendeyman as I know he is the go to person for Hendey information and history. Not sure if he got my message so I am also posting the message here.

I am writing to find information pertaining to a Hendey Lathe number 30916? It is my fathers lathe, he has owned and operated the lathe for the last 40 or so years and he is interested in finding out about what accessories the lathe was sold with and more of its history. He has parts for a relieving attachment and he was wondering if it had come with the sub-headstock. He has repaired numerous items on the lathe over the years and is currently trying to layout a 127 tooth gear so he can use it for Metric threading.

Any information is greatly appreciated,

Best Regards,
Adam Plater
Port Alberni, B.C., Canada

Aplater:

I have been away from the shop for a few days and I just read your email. Hendey lathe No.30916, a 14 x 54, 12 Speed, Geared Head model
was completed on November 2, 1940. The following information was taken from the original Order Form, information in parenthesis is my
addendum.

Order date: August 31, 1940
Start date: September 6, 1940
Sold to: T.E. Ryder Machinery Company, 635 St. Paul Street, West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ship to: Above, c/o Research Enterprises, Limited
Wanted: Late October or early November 1940
Marks: E-9
Via: C.V. - C.N.R.
Description: 14" x 54" - 12 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (compound Rest) - To swing 16-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Timken roller bearings on main spindle - Multiple spline shafts
Taper Spindle Nose
Spindle speeds - 18 to 539 R.P.M.
High Speed Reversing Mechanism
Taper Attachment
New style Follow Rest
Style "C" Relieving Attachment
Speed Reduction Unit at the motor - 4 to 1 ratio
Arranged for vee belt connected motor drive with motor in cabinet leg
Furnish and fit Allis-Chalmers ball bearing motor, 5 HP, 550 volts, 3 phase, 25 cycles, 1500 RPM, type AR, frame 284
together with Arrow-Hart and Hegeman magnetic starter catalog #27538 and push button station catalog #27907-S
Customer will send us Ettco 1/2" drill chuck to be shipped with lathe
Customer will send us Cushman 10" 4 jaw independent chuck, Cushman 10" 3 jaw universal chuck, Cushman nose type
Collet Chuck #115E5 and a set of round collets to be shipped with machine

There are a few Patterns, Castings and repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the
files, so parts can be made if required. NOTE: The 4 to 1 Motor Speed Reducer was supplied instead of a Sub-Headstock.

Hendeyman

Back