What's new
What's new

Needed, some old English brown oak for a 18th c. Lathe restoration

rivett608

Diamond
With the pandemic it seems a good time to get to all those projects I have been meaning to do for years. I’m making progress! One thing that has bothered me is the modern and ugly replacement treadle on my 1770s English Gentlemen’s Lathe.

I want to make a correct style replacement and it should be made of English Brown Oak. I don’t need much and have looked online and can’t seem to find any. It would also be nice to use old timbers, doubt I’ll find 200 year old stuff but a hundred would be nice. It would also be great if it was already on this side of the pond to save on shipping. I figure somebody has some of this laying around, just not me. I got tons of old wood but none of it is the right stuff.

Here is what I need,

1 1/2” square, 24” long
2 pcs. 1“ x 2” X 28” long
1” x 3” x 28” long
1” x 4” x 24” long

Note, the 1” stock should be close to a real 1”, it will taper a little thinner at one end.

So, anybody have anything that will work?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, here is the lathe. A Very Early, Pre-Maudslay Lathe.... circa 1770?

OT

"Brown oak" is created by invasion from fungi, according to Google. Some of the fungi occur here in the US, and are not extinct, so age of the wood (OP mentions 100 or 200 years old) may not be a major issue. Does "English" brown oak specify a specific variant of brown oak? Some online description:

"There are two main forms of brown rot in oaks, and at least two other forms one very rare the other locally common. Fistulina hepatica is the desired one, the one foresters know to be the true brown oak, as Fistulina hepatica feeds mainly off the acids or more specifically vinegars and actually alters the wood very little till very advanced decay. Laetiporus sulphureus is the more difficult to work version of brown oak, more stripey in colour and tends to cause a lot of medullary splitting on drying as the fungus uses this pathway for colonisation strategies. The turned item here is most likely this latter fungus also known as the sulphur polypore or chicken of the woods. The other two forms of brown rot in oak are Daedalea quercina, a common deadwood consumer, and Piptoporus quercinus the oak poly pore, a very very rare beast."
Brown Oak | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

-Marty-

Back