What's new
What's new

New acquisition

x.l.r.8

Plastic
So I am new to posting but have been lurking for quite a while. I usually farm out most jobs or I have a friendly engineer who amuses me by alllowing me to do my simple machine work on his lathe. I moved to Canada and lost that ability so for a few years I have been itching to get myself a machine but not been able to justify it. Then the 1200 square ft workshop for my race cars became available so I have room, lots of it. I don’t know where the $200 bargain lathes live but their not around here. The best I have come up with was equalling scrap value. Enter stage left a Woodhouse Mitchell junior 70 with the 72” bed. It’s working with a 220v single phase motor. Needs cleaning but it’s in ‘useable condition. I’ve read up all I can find but any more information is always welcome. The next stop is to buy the Town Woodhouse manuals as I can’t find anything else about it. Lathes.co.uk pushed me towards this one rather than the clausing or south bend alternatives. Especially as it’s complete and the seller was straight talking. I’m yet to pick it up, I have controversial information so I know it weighs somewhere between 750kg-2000kg which is quite worrying for my well worn out trailer. But hopefully it will be up to the task. I’m sure I’ll be scanning the pages working out more adventurous projects. But I guess like all things, nothing replaces the hours learning the machine.

Some thirty odd years ago, I had a woodhouse and Mitchell lathe not in great condition, when ipurchased it, Looking back in time it was not a great bargain, That saying it was a powerful and nice machine and could plough the metal off as required and its accuracy was good, They have a nice feel about them , I would class them as a middle of the road British lathe not top class, but for general purpose work O.K.

Pictures make easier conversation than text. Unloaded and got to work with the kerosene. Being -10 degrees I only had a few hours to get it taken apart and decide where to start.

Lots more to do but under the dirt and grime it looks easy enough to get back into shape. The guy kept his tool post for some reason so looking around for a suitable replacement.

The guy kept his tool post for some reason so looking around for a suitable replacement.

I treat toolposts like any other tooling. A lathe should have more than one type and even more than one of EACH type. QCTP "systems" get costly, best thought-out carefully in advance. Most other options are cheap with less risk of wasted spend.

There's always some downside or advantage to any of them that a different style lacks. Grab whatever you can find that is close. A "lantern", a 4-Way, or a QCTP whatever pops up first. Seek better types and better "deals", later.

One CAN even stack a cutter atop shims and drops and clamp with a pair of bolts and top bar to get started making a tee-slot anchor or a riser plate or rings for a better solution.

IOW "do something, even if temporary" so your lathe can help improve its own situation instead of being a barrier to it.

P85 for my race car. i need to turn some drum brakes down to make back plates for the disc bells (job one), then make stub axle adaptors for the 930 porsche axles (job 2), make lift adapters for my roadster (job 3) and the lathe has paid for itself. Once done I can set up some production runs and make some money to finish my house restoration.

I'd remove whatever that cross shaped thing is that's bolted to the floor ASAP. Before you know it you'll be stepping back from the lathe admiring your work and you'll go head over heels on the thing.

Regards Tyrone.

Lol, if I had an automatic tire changer I would but it’s been there for years and I know it’s there. If I move it anywhere I’ll forget where I put it.

P85 for my race car.

Friend of mine has a model 3. We were talking about tracking it, since that's a hobby he and I share. I suggested a trailer hitch to tow a generator so he could charge it between runs.

Is the Apron just not mounted up?

One way to listen to Tyrone (something I always do) would be to make a duckboard that covers the trip hazard on the floor. And would be warmer and easier an your back/knees than concrete!

Lucky7

Back