What's new
What's new

New guy with a Putnam Lathe and Index Mill model 40H

acbutton

Plastic
First post- Ive been lurking for the past couple of months since I brought home my Putnam Lathe. 14" swing, approx 40" of usable bed. Hollow legs with stowage compartment with patent dates through 1879 on cover/door. Original black paint. It's in good shape, not a neglected resto project. From the limited info available, I'm estimating it's circa 1880-1892. Plain cross slide currently in place probably replaced an original rise and fall, but I'm still learning. Finally joined the forum to learn more.

This is a new direction for me- no machinist experience. I'm used to complicated accurate work as a formally apprenticed full time sculptor in the granite industry, mostly memorials in granite and marble with some bronze work. Website is www.carolinasculpturestudio.com and has link to my studio YouTube channel. I also do some Metalshaping/panelwork. The goal is to use this lathe and my even more recently-acquired Index Mil 40H (very nice) to make tooling for my HandBuilt English Wheel, Gairu M18 (made in Spain Pullmax P8/P9 equivalent) and Pexto 0617 bead roller.

Ive come to understand that Joe in NH and Peter are Putnam people to listen to... I also understand that pics are mandatory currency. This iPad was probably obsolete when my lathe was still new, so the little whirly thing is still whirling but pics aren't squeezing through the hole. I'll get pics on here soon, even if I need to do them on another device.

Um. Probably one of those "frogleg" Putnams. They have an attraction all their own. Described very nicely often without attribution in Joshua Rose's "Modern Machine Shop Practice" Volume 1. The two later revisions (1890s Edition 2, 1900s Edition 3) would have more on the later lathes.

Books run $25 for a very beat up, coming apart original Volume 1 (where the lathes are) to $75 for a reprint (I think Vol 1 & 2 and printed in the pacific rim) to $400 plus for the leatherbound full quarto "Library" sets. Ebay probably has the best deals as most who see this older book think they have a real prize, even if its "mediocre."

Joe in NH

Welcome !
If you can use a real camera and a computer to upload your pics it might be easier.
( P.S. dont come back without pics:D)

Yeah, I get it. I want the eye candy, too. Not playing the camera game tonight. Here's a few-

Pic of lathe as purchased from c/l, 10 minutes from here. Price was $450.00. Looks like it had always been inside to be used. Nice and oily all over, almost zero rust anywhere.

PutnamLathecl_image1.jpg

Pics of lathe on trailer here for cleaning. It was cleaned carefully using only kerosene, soft brush and soft scraper. After that, the faded very old (looks original) black paint was brought back to a minor sheen with boiled linseed oil, Then oil holes were cleared and flushed with ATF/Acetone and then penetrating oil until it flowed clean. With regular oil, now all spins very well. Headstock has little to no play. Couple of pics are now rotated in here. I'll try to edit better later.

PutnamLatheStudio3_image4.jpg

PutnamLatheStudio2_image3.jpg

PutnamLatheStudio1_image2.jpg

After cleaning, in place in my shop.

PutnamLatheShop1_image5.jpg

Still working on a better mounting arrangement for jackshaft and 1hp motor to replace the 5hp motor that was on it. Tomorrow I'm looking at an overhead line drive that needs to be acquired before it goes away. Not sure yet if it will be used for this machine or not.

The po said he only used this lathe to polish crankshafts years ago and had never looked inside the toolboxes. So I did. It came with a later 3 jaw chuck (installed) threads look very good on main arbor which has an approx 5/8" through hole, most if not all change wheels with little to no tooth damage, an original steady rest and other items both for it and not for it. The other two 3-jaw chucks on the ground in the first pic don't fit. Ways are in great shape. Regular cross slide has been crashed into the chuck by more than one dedicated professional and is not pristine. But if it's not original, I'm not as concerned.

I have no plans to "restore" it. I like original paint. Learning how to operate it and using it for my limited needs is my plan.

No pics of the Index Mill yet. It's just one of those pristine, excellent condition machines. Pretty boring, compared to the dramatic before & after stuff....

Those spare 3 jaws may end up being handy later- for instance, mount one on a flat plate to be bolted to the mill table, so you can hold round work end-wise; same thing can go on a rotary table. If your tastes and interest takes you into dividing heads having a spare chuck (if suitably sized) may help make an untooled (and thus less expensive) dividing head practicable.

We all would like pics of a nice pristine Index mill too :)

Regards,

Greg

I'll get pics of the Index to post, plus more of some details on the Putnam.

There are some plans like mentioned for the spare chucks. I'm looking for a rotary table for the mill. Right now there's lots to learn before any money is thrown at what ifs.

Here's a few pics of the Index Mill Model 40H. Right now it's waiting in the corner for more space as the shop is rearranged. This has been in service, although more incidental in recent years, locally for the past 35+ yrs. It was refurbished prior to that by a trusted acquaintance in middle TN. Hand scraping is still present on much of the ways. This vise came with it. It's still a B&S 9 taper.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpg
    IMG_8185.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8186.jpg
    IMG_8186.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8187.jpg
    IMG_8187.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 64
With better ability to search & see pics after joining the forum, I've learned the rise & fall is still in place and functional on this Putnam lathe. The screw to operate the r&f had been broken off almost flush with the top of the cross slide base(?). In the past, someone had attempted to drill out the broken screw. I had gently tried turning this broken screw to remove it. When it didn't easily budge, I stopped.

Thankfully, the two drill holes did not damage the threads in the r&f. Using a screwdriver spanning the drilled holes, I was able to turn the screw to easily operate the r&f. Now I need to know what approximate length a new operation screw needs to be. How far would this screw protrude above the top of the cross slide base? I've seen pics of this screw with a handle. Would the handle remain attached to the screw, if so how or would it be removable?

There's also a couple of pics of the only significant damage on the lathe. The cross slide base has been damaged by the chuck. This does not seem to impair function or allow play in operation. Also shown is the majority of the parts, change wheels and tooling that came with the lathe. Looks like the majority if not all of the change wheels are present. Aside from 1-2 damaged teeth on parts currently on the lathe, the only other damage is visible in one of these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_8180.jpg
    IMG_8180.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8181.jpg
    IMG_8181.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8182.jpg
    IMG_8182.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8183.jpg
    IMG_8183.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
Here is the elevating screw that is on an unknown rest that I have. The screw and handle are one piece and the threads were turned between centers.

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3794.jpg
    IMG_3794.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 45
Here is the elevating screw that is on an unknown rest that I have. The screw and handle are one piece and the threads were turned between centers.

Thank you, Bill. Without measurements, I assume (yeah, I know..) that the elevating screw will not lift the r&f taller than and maybe not even to the top of the stantions on either side of the dovetail?

Not in a rush for specifics. other priorities are winning right now.

Thank you, Bill. Without measurements, I assume (yeah, I know..) that the elevating screw will not lift the r&f taller than and maybe not even to the top of the stantions on either side of the dovetail?

Not in a rush for specifics. other priorities are winning right now.

There is only about 1 1/4" of total travel on the elevating screw on my rest.

Back