What's new
What's new

New Haven Planer 22x48

chevy43

Stainless
I saved this from the scrappers for at an auction and picked it up yesterday. It's heavier than it looks. It has power feed to the compound but the pinion on the bevel behind the compound is missing and the bevel gear has teeth missing. I'm sure it ran up against the end of the travel. Maybe they are standard gears I can order...

Actual size is 24"x57" travel and table top is 22x50

It has no provisions for oil recovery - not even holes to wire coffee cans to the ends of the ways. Wonder if they just let the oil run all over the floor?

I like the hooks cast into the bedways for slings.

The guards were so nicely made it is a shame to remove them but it looks better without them.

Attachments

• 20181002_182535.jpg
    20181002_182535.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 2970-A.jpg
    2970-A.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 319
It has no provisions for oil recovery - not even holes to wire coffee cans to the ends of the ways. Wonder if they just let the oil run all over the floor?

I like the hooks cast into the bedways for slings.
They probably either kept wiping it off, or put a can under the drips. The operator had to constantly attend to oiling the ways if it doesn't have oilers and reservoirs built in to the ways, so wiping off the oil drips was just part of the attention. BTW, those aren't hooks on the ends of the ways. They are for the oil to drip off of. You don't want to lift it by those "hooks"! The ends of the ways could break off and result in a disaster. Better to lift it from under the ends of the bed about where the legs attach.

Irby

Sweet little planer, I would love to see more pics. I have a new haven also around this size but mine is a bit different and is missing a few parts for the feed mechanism. Is yours in working condition? Mine looks to have an oil recovery system added. It has cups on the ends of the ways that the oil drains into that connect to a larger reservoir(about a gallon) with a circulating pump on it.

I will take some pics if you want.

Yes, Please.

I have picture of the feed mechanism I'll try to attach.

Attachments

• 20181002_174230.jpg
    20181002_174230.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 146
The eccentric pushes a rack gear up and down behind the column that the feed pinon-ratchet is engaged with.

Attachments

• 20181002_174523.jpg
    20181002_174523.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 126
BTW, the oilers I mentioned look like this on my 1910 Schneider & Goosmann 36" planer. The are built like what some grinders use. The reservoirs are located about the center of the ways, and you have to move the table way off to one end to refill them with oil. I don't know if the older New Haven's had these.

Irby

Attachments

• planer_way_oilers_10.JPG
    planer_way_oilers_10.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 137
  • planer_way_oilers_11.JPG
    planer_way_oilers_11.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 159
There is a crank attached to a worm gear and a half worm wheel that I haven't had enough time to figure out how it affects the feed...

Attachments

• 20181002_174358.jpg
    20181002_174358.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20181002_174320.jpg
    20181002_174320.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 103
BTW, the oilers I mentioned look like this on my 1910 Schneider & Goosmann 36" planer. The are built like what some grinders use. The reservoirs are located about the center of the ways, and you have to move the table way off to one end to refill them with oil. I don't know if the older New Haven's had these.

Irby

I'll look for them when I get things freed up enough to move. Thanks.

chevy43

Your Planer appears to be a No.4-1/2. If you look on the back of the Cross Rail, you should be able to find the No. 4-1/2
cast below the hole in the Cross Rail. This size is the standard for the four foot stroke Platen. To locate the Serial
Number, go to the top right hand corner of the Arch. Below the Bevel Elevating Gear, about one inch to the right of the
centerline of the Elevating Screw on the face of the Arch, should be the number. You may have to clean the area to be able
to read the number.

The Reversing Mechanism used on your Planer is very similar to the one Edwin Bartlett used on his Federal Planers.

Hendeyman

Back