What's new
What's new

New to me Hendey 16x30

chevyboy91188

Plastic
Long time lurker doing research and patiently waiting the right machine to come up for sale and I think I finally found the one, so I paid for it and brought it home! Here it is! I hope Hendeyman will find this and be able to help me learn some about this beautiful (except the paint job) old machine! Serial number: 36776

20190113_173938[1337].jpg

Included a closer picture of one piece I am curious of, I'm guessing the piece painted to match the machine body color is for a light or something to be hung from the back V shaped way?

20190114_194415.jpg20190114_193956.jpg

I recently sold a 16X30 with a lot more wear and a lot less accessories for almost twice that amount. My machine had served shift work 24/7 for delco remy starter/generator plant for 50 years before it worked for me 20 years. Manufactured in 1943 cant remember the sn.

I recently sold a 16X30 with a lot more wear and a lot less accessories for almost twice that amount. My machine had served shift work 24/7 for delco remy starter/generator plant for 50 years before it worked for me 20 years. Manufactured in 1943 cant remember the sn.

Wow! That is reassuring, either way I figured pound for pound I got a pretty fair deal, because man is this one stout machine! Thanks for the feedback!

I bought 2 Hendeys for a lot less but I'd have happily paid what you did for that beast and all the extras. You'll love it, when you get it up and running you'll wonder how you survived without it.

Craig

Many thanks to Hendeyman! He provided me with this via PM:

"Greeting Nic:

Hendey lathe No. 36776, a 16 x 30, 18 speed Geared Head model, was ordered on November 14, 1945 and was schedules for completion
during July 1946. The long production delay was caused by the end of WW2, There was no production during October and November 1945
and during January and February 1946. The electric motor was a Frame 324, 7-1/2HP, 1200RPM, 440Volts, 60Cycles, 3PH. The Clutch Pulley
speed was 575RPM. The original owner was the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company, no city or state was listed. There are still a few Patterns, Cast-
ings and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so part can be made if required. If I can be
of further help, let me know.

Best regards,

James F. McDerment (Hendeyman)"

SO after a short google this is the company that became Mobil and of course now is ExxonMobil, wonder what they used it for!

Back