Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to me Hendey!! I'm Excited!!

I'm an amateur machinist but the son of a great tool-maker. Started on a old Craftsman(Atlas) 12".
    A good friend gave me his old Hendey because he said the headstock was worn out and needed rebuilt. I see the posts on how to do this and may need help in the future, but the main question today is, What year is this thing? Serial number 10150

His dad purchased it in 1964 and he's been running it since he was 14 in 1964. I told him I would research the history before that.Thank you!! My first "big" lathe!!
    img_0347.jpg

2. Likes 3512B, RCPDesigns, Doozer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well before Hendyman weighs in with the facts, I'll give a guess of 1922.

I can see the clamping lever indicating it has the taper attachment on it (a nice bonus).

What's the swing, and bed length?

I can't say I agree with parking an arbor press on the ways though : )

Congrats on your new old lathe.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a 16" by 4 foot?
    I tried to get him to throw in the arbor press but it was a no go.
    Yes Taper attachment even works according to him. He had tears in his eyes as we loaded it. I ask, "tears of joy or sadness?". He said "both.....I spent 56 years making bike parts on this thing." I'm proud he trusted me to take on the project!
    Plus I got the original 4 jaw and face plate.

5. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Natez14:

Hendey lathe No. 10150, a 16 x 7 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during the last week of August 1908. It was shipped with a
    Taper Attachment. The original owner was the CM & St. Paul Railway company, Tacoma, Washington. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings
    or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. This lathe is the result of the redesign work done during 1905-1907 and a few minor changes made in 1908. Your lathe has a Single Walled Apron and the new Carriage and Cross Slide design introduced on July 18, 1906. Your Quick Change Gear Box has gears with
    14DP introduced on October 19, 1907.

Hendeyman

7. Likes stevewatr, dalmatiangirl61, Doozer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hendeyman View Post
    Natez14:

Hendey lathe No. 10150, a 16 x 7 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during the last week of August 1908. It was shipped with a
    Taper Attachment. The original owner was the CM & St. Paul Railway company, Tacoma, Washington. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings
    or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. This lathe is the result of the redesign work done during 1905-1907 and a few minor changes made in 1908. Your lathe has a Single Walled Apron and the new Carriage and Cross Slide design introduced on July 18, 1906. Your Quick Change Gear Box has gears with
    14DP introduced on October 19, 1907.

Hendeyman
    This is great! My friend said that he though his dad bought it from a railroad yard in Tacoma WA. were it was used to make tapered pins for couplers most of it's life. I think this lathe has a complete history now from birth to my garage. I'm going to try to clean it up and use it with a restoration down the road. Thank You Hendeyman!
    Now were would I find a correct manual on-line for this monster in my garage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natez14 View Post
    This is great! My friend said that he though his dad bought it from a railroad yard in Tacoma WA. were it was used to make tapered pins for couplers most of it's life. I think this lathe has a complete history now from birth to my garage. I'm going to try to clean it up and use it with a restoration down the road. Thank You Hendeyman!
    Now were would I find a correct manual on-line for this monster in my garage?
    Thumbnails are the usual helpful info on the Sticky Spindle issue.

Only "manual" I know of is a smidgen later - with things like double wall apron

Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...dey-manual.pdf

Here is my old write up on their lead screw reverse system - starts at post #17 in the linked thread

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

ph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all-parts.jpg   front-detail.jpg   list.jpg   parts-together.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I got the spindle out with very little cussing. Looks like the same problem they all have,thrust washer is worn and binding at the front cone. All five nuts looked like they went through hell during it's life and need replaced/repaired. I also need to clean clean clean this lathe was the DIRTIEST/OILIEST machine I've ever seen! Does anybody make the special brass nuts anymore? or the three others at the left bearing? Or at least a good picture/drawing of ones without vise-grip marks and chisel chucks taken out?!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yea.........thank you for the manual link!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Or at least a good picture/drawing
    Note hendeyman offers drawings in his comments above