What's new
What's new

New to me Hendey!! I'm Excited!!

Natez14

Plastic
I'm an amateur machinist but the son of a great tool-maker. Started on a old Craftsman(Atlas) 12".
A good friend gave me his old Hendey because he said the headstock was worn out and needed rebuilt. I see the posts on how to do this and may need help in the future, but the main question today is, What year is this thing? Serial number 10150

His dad purchased it in 1964 and he's been running it since he was 14 in 1964. I told him I would research the history before that.Thank you!! My first "big" lathe!!
IMG_0347.jpg

Well before Hendyman weighs in with the facts, I'll give a guess of 1922.

I can see the clamping lever indicating it has the taper attachment on it (a nice bonus).

What's the swing, and bed length?

I can't say I agree with parking an arbor press on the ways though : )

Congrats on your new old lathe.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

It's a 16" by 4 foot?
I tried to get him to throw in the arbor press but it was a no go.
Yes Taper attachment even works according to him. He had tears in his eyes as we loaded it. I ask, "tears of joy or sadness?". He said "both.....I spent 56 years making bike parts on this thing." I'm proud he trusted me to take on the project!
Plus I got the original 4 jaw and face plate.

Natez14:

Hendey lathe No. 10150, a 16 x 7 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during the last week of August 1908. It was shipped with a
Taper Attachment. The original owner was the CM & St. Paul Railway company, Tacoma, Washington. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings
or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. This lathe is the result of the redesign work done during 1905-1907 and a few minor changes made in 1908. Your lathe has a Single Walled Apron and the new Carriage and Cross Slide design introduced on July 18, 1906. Your Quick Change Gear Box has gears with
14DP introduced on October 19, 1907.

Hendeyman

Natez14:

Hendey lathe No. 10150, a 16 x 7 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during the last week of August 1908. It was shipped with a
Taper Attachment. The original owner was the CM & St. Paul Railway company, Tacoma, Washington. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings
or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. This lathe is the result of the redesign work done during 1905-1907 and a few minor changes made in 1908. Your lathe has a Single Walled Apron and the new Carriage and Cross Slide design introduced on July 18, 1906. Your Quick Change Gear Box has gears with
14DP introduced on October 19, 1907.

Hendeyman
This is great! My friend said that he though his dad bought it from a railroad yard in Tacoma WA. were it was used to make tapered pins for couplers most of it's life. I think this lathe has a complete history now from birth to my garage. I'm going to try to clean it up and use it with a restoration down the road. Thank You Hendeyman!
Now were would I find a correct manual on-line for this monster in my garage?

This is great! My friend said that he though his dad bought it from a railroad yard in Tacoma WA. were it was used to make tapered pins for couplers most of it's life. I think this lathe has a complete history now from birth to my garage. I'm going to try to clean it up and use it with a restoration down the road. Thank You Hendeyman!
Now were would I find a correct manual on-line for this monster in my garage?

Thumbnails are the usual helpful info on the Sticky Spindle issue.

Only "manual" I know of is a smidgen later - with things like double wall apron

Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

Here is my old write up on their lead screw reverse system - starts at post #17 in the linked thread

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

ph

Attachments

• All parts.jpg
    All parts.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Front detail.jpg
    Front detail.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • List.jpg
    List.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 49
  • Parts together.jpg
    Parts together.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
Well I got the spindle out with very little cussing. Looks like the same problem they all have,thrust washer is worn and binding at the front cone. All five nuts looked like they went through hell during it's life and need replaced/repaired. I also need to clean clean clean this lathe was the DIRTIEST/OILIEST machine I've ever seen! Does anybody make the special brass nuts anymore? or the three others at the left bearing? Or at least a good picture/drawing of ones without vise-grip marks and chisel chucks taken out?!

Back