What's new
What's new

New to me LeBlond regal

chromecollektor

Plastic
just picked this 15x 36 round head regal up from a guy in Illinois the other day. Seems to be a really nice machine, with normal wear on it. All of the gears in the headstock are in perfect shape. The ways look good and a lot of the hand scaling is still very visible on them. The mt-3 bore in the tailstock was a little goobered so I have a reamer coming for that. It came with a 3 jaw, a 4 jaw, a steady rest and the taper attachment. It does have some play in the cross slide dial... about .030 worth I’m working on digging into that and trying to minimize it. Otherwise what should I know about this machine to keep it running smooth.
3df4c8c87e5323325c74f946a132a9ca.jpg
83103f718b7cbaa79b4b2cf5694270fe.jpg
fc31f92ecb340378c196aa04f9e243ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Start by taking the key out of the chuck ! No one who knows anything about shop safety EVER leaves a key in a lathe chuck for an instant longer than needed for use.
An accidental starting of the lathe with the key left in the chuck will launch the key and can cause plenty of serious personal injury aside from damage to the lathe or other shop equipment and premises.

I use ISO 46 oil in the form of tractor hydraulic oil in the headstock of my own LeBlond 13" Roundhead Regal lathe, as well as in the apron. Before starting the lathe, pump some oil into the oil fillers on the headstock spindle bearings and on the drive/input shaft bearing. There are hinged oil hole covers on these locations.

Do not overfill the headstock. There are no oil seals on these lathe headstocks. Oil is slung up to the bearings when the lathe is running, and finds its way back down via some labyrinth grooves in the end plates on the bearing housings in the headstock. If you use too heavy an oil, or if you fill the headstock too full, the lathe will sling oil out the spindle when run at the higher speeds. Correct level is around the bottom of the "Gits" oil filler cup on the front of the headstock.

There is a plunger oil pump in the apron of these lathes. You pump oil from the reservoir in the apron up to the cross slide and carriage wings by pushing the rod with the "cupped end" (stick up at an angle from the front of the apron) in a few strokes. This rod is the pump plunger. The apron is kept filled with oil via the Gits cup filler on the RH side of it. A light way oil is a good choice to use. I use Husqvarna Bar and Chain oil, which has the look and feel of a light way lube, or I use ISO46 oil mixed about 50-50 with Lucas Oil Extender (to add tackifiers to the ISO 46 oil). You might want to flush the apron with some kerosene or diesel fuel- fill and drain before starting to pump up to the cross slide and carriage wings. The pump plunger on my own Roundhead Regal was stuck when I got it. Some Marvel Mystery Oil and diesel fuel soaking inside the apron freed things up handily.

When changing speeds, use the handwheel on the drive shaft and roll the gearing over by hand and make sure it is fully engaged. Also make sure the detent balls on each shifter lever are seated in the "dimples" on the headstock. The gear selectors on these lathes are kind of sensitive and it does not take much to think you have the lathe gears fully engaged, only to have them hop out of engagement under load. The key is to be careful when you make gear changes and be sure that the gear selector lever detent balls are fully seated in the "dimples". Do not attempt to change gears with the lathe under power, or when it is coasting down. Wait until the lathe is completely stopped and then make sure to use the handwheel. As you roll the input or drive shaft over by hand and you work the gear selector lever with your other hand, you should be able to feel things go into mesh or clutch teeth engage.

These lathes have very light high speed gearing in the headstocks. I can't say what a safe limit on roughing cuts might be. I do take it easier with my own LeBlond 13" Roundhead lathe than if I were running a lathe like a Reed & Prentice, Monarch, or Lodge & Shipley or Hendey. These roundhead Regal lathes are on the lighter end of geared head engine lathes. When taking an interuppted cut, slow the lathe spindle speed and go a bit lighter on depth of cut and feed. On the other hand, I have had no problems in hogging about 0.150" at a rip off 2 1/2" diameter 4140 steel round bar with a high speed steel tool bit.

These lathes were designed in an era when high speed steel tools were pretty much the rule and carbide tools were more the rarity. As a result, spindle speed ranges are a bit low for carbide tools. I use primarily high speed steel tool bits and can get a finish that looks like it were precision ground or polished "as cut" with a HSS tool bit. HSS tool bit blanks are cheap at the price and you get "two for the price of one" as you can grind both ends of a blank to make two separate types of tool bit. HSS tool bits can be ground freehand on a bench grinder, and with some stoning (I use an India Medium Hard pocket sized oil stone), you can get a very fine finish on the work.

If you have not already done so, invest in a copy of "Running the Regal"- the manual for this series lathe, available on EBay for around 20 bucks. Well worth the price as it has parts diagrams aside from instructions on use and maintenance of these lathes.

Your lathe is a "standard" Roundhead Regal lathe. LeBlond offered two versions of these lathes: "Trainer" and "Standard" models. Both were pretty much the same lathe in most aspects. The difference was the "Trainer" had a lighter bed casting, not as deep as the "Standard". The "Trainer" models have the swing of the lathe cast into the headstock rather than "LeBlond" as your lathe has.

These are good little lathes, very user friendly, and with some reasonable care, can turn out fine work. My own Roundhead Regal has some bed wear to the point that if I lightly snug the carriage lock screw with the carriage near the headstock, if I move the carriage maybe 10-12" towards the tailstock, it will bind on the bedways.
Despite this, I turn out some fine work and have no problems working to 0.001" or better.

Another thing to check is the "drop" of the tailstock. As these lathes see use, the tailstock bases seem to wear fairly quickly. The result is people shim the tailstock back to centerline height with the spindle. They do this by placing shims between the tailstock bottom and the top of the base. I've found sheet metal shims, old time cards and thin shim stock used on LeBlond lathes for these purposes. As the saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". On my own LeBlond lathe, I mounted an indicator in the lathe chuck and rolled it around the tailstock spindle (or "quill"). This showed me the side-to-side misalignment. When I had adjusted this so the indicator had no deviation at 3:00 & 9:00, I then re-checked the readings at 12:00 and 6:00. This gave me the "drop" and amount to shim "up".

An old lathe like our LeBlond Roundhead Regal lathes, having seen umpteen years of use and a few moves, is hardly a toolroom lathe. However, with some tweaking, like checking tailstock centerline in relation to the headstock, these lathes can turn out some fine work.

You should also acquaint yourself with the graduations on the cross slide and compound micrometer collars. On my own Roundhead Regal lathe, these are "direct reading" collars. If I crank in 0.050", the lathe will cut 0.050" TOTAL DEPTH. If I were to put a dial indicator on the cross slide or compound and crank in 0.050" on the micrometer collars, the actual movement would be 0.025". When you get into thread cutting, you will be dealing with "half depth" or depth of the thread as calculated. This is the depth "on one side only". If you crank the "half depth" into the compound or cross slide, you will wind up with twice the required depth of thread and the job winds up in the scrap heap. Some lathes have the direct reading collar on the cross slide and the indirect or "half depth" collar on the compound for this reason. I got into trouble a few weeks back as I had been cutting threads on one job on my Southbend Heavy 10" lathe, which has the compound's micrometer collar reading the "half depth", so cutting to calculated depth of thread works fine. I went to the LeBlond lathe and was cutting a thread on another job, and forgot the differences in the compound rest micrometer collars. Result was a job that wound up in the junk heap. Luckily, it was just a hunk of A-36 hot rolled round bar, so not out any real money, just the time.

I enjoy using my own 13" Roundhead Regal lathe and find it to be just right for a home/semi business type of machine shop. I was lucky in that my Regal lathe came with factory-supplied metric transposing gears for cutting metric threads, as well as the factory supplied steady & follower rests, a "dog plate", face plate, and 3 & 4 jaw chucks. My lathe has the threaded spindle nose. I make sure to clean the threads on the spindle as well as in the chuck or faceplate thoroughly, and dab a little "Never Seez" on the threads before screwing a chuck or faceplate onto the spindle. Never run a chuck or faceplate on under power. Always make sure the chuck or faceplate is fully screwed onto the spindle and make sure the hub of the chuck plate or face plate is seated solidly against the shoulder on the spindle. If a chuck or faceplate seems to be screwing on too hard, stop, back it off and check and clean the threads.

Make yourself some wood cradle blocks that are cut to fit on the bedways. These cradle blocks should be cut to support your chucks at approximately spindle centerline height. In that way, you can land a chuck on the wood cradle block and not damage the bedways, and you do not risk pinched or bruised fingers. A 12" 4 jaw lathe chuck for an old Regal lathe is heavy enough to be a bit of a challenge for many people to get on and off the spindle without banging the bedways or worse. Cradle blocks save your fingers, your back, and your lathe's bedways. The sides of old pallets- usually made of hardwood- can be used to make cradle blocks.

Very nice Regal,especially with taper turn ......its a 1940s,prolly wartime,so a threaded chuck.........Joes right with the plunger on the apron........I was talking to an owner (40+yrs) who is cleaning and repainting a Regal....and he has just discovered the pump.....it was stuck in with dried oil all this time......Even so ,no sign of wear anywhere in the gears......You can easily download a free manual and partsbook off the net.......You can often buy unopened original copies of the manual on fleabay for a few bucks.

Thanks for the info joe! Sounds like you know quite a bit about these old lathes. Just for your peace of mind there is no power hooked to the lathe at this point and the only reason the key was in the chuck was to run it in and out to be lubed. The tailstock on mine is shimmed. I haven’t checked it with an indicator yet but as soon as I get the reamer I plan to get the tailstock dialed in. I ordered a quick change tool post and some tooling for it and hope to get it up and running by the end of this coming week. I should have the phase converter and tooling by then.

Very nice Regal,especially with taper turn ......its a 1940s,prolly wartime,so a threaded chuck.........Joes right with the plunger on the apron........I was talking to an owner (40+yrs) who is cleaning and repainting a Regal....and he has just discovered the pump.....it was stuck in with dried oil all this time......Even so ,no sign of wear anywhere in the gears......You can easily download a free manual and partsbook off the net.......You can often buy unopened original copies of the manual on fleabay for a few bucks.

The pump on mine works perfectly, that is the first thing I noticed and definitely a cool feature for a machine of this vintage!

LeBlond was not unique in providing a pump to lubricate the carriage and cross slide. By the 1930's, engine lathe builders such as Hendey along with Reed-&-Prentice and the other US engine lathe builders all were providing lubrication pumps in the aprons of their geared head lathes. Hendey went so far as to have a lubrication pump in the apron which was worked off the carriage feed gearing. Whenever the carriage was moved along the bed, that pump was metering oil into the working parts of the apron along with the carriage "wings" and cross slide. I've had occasion to purchase three LeBlond lathes for use by my former employer. The biggest swung work 60" in diameter over the cross slide x about 20 ft between centers. The next one down in size was 25" x 96", and was a wide bed/heavy duty LeBlond lathe from the mid 1960's. As I recall, that 25" LeBlond lathe had a Bijur lube pump on the tailstock base. Before moving the tailstock along the bed, we'd give the Bijur pump a couple of shots to get some oil pushed between the tailstock base and the ways. The apron had one lube pump within the apron, and a Bijur pump for way lube on the outside of the apron.

The smallest LeBlond lathe I purchased used for the powerplant shop was a 15" "servoshift" Regal. A nice tight little lathe, and we set it up to take 5C collets aside from the usual chucks. LeBlond build good lathes, no question about it. The Regal lathes were the lightweights in LeBlond's lineup.

The roundhead Regal lathes seem ideal for home shop/light commercial shop use if we set aside the low spindle speed range and smallish spindle bore. They are about as "user friendly" as a lathe can get. However, these are still geared head machines and a LOT more lathe than a Southbend or similar design of lathe. I say this because the Southbend lathes, having flat belt driven headstocks (for the most part), will often have the belt slip on the headstock cone pulley if overloaded, or if a person crashes the carriage into the chuck. A LeBlond Roundhead Regal lathe does have an overload clutch on the feed shaft. This clutch will disengage the feed shaft from the quick change gearbox if overloaded or a jam occurs. The clutch will click and will automatically reset when the overload or jam is removed and the feed mechanism can turn freely again. However, while the safety clutch protects the feed gearing, a crash or overload WILL still be transmitted into the headstock gearing and there is NO protective mechanism for that. A piece of good advice was taught to us kids back in 1964 when we took our first machine shop classes at Brooklyn Technical HS. The shop teachers taught us to pull a lathe spindle over by hand after setting up a job, and do it with the carriage run up as close as the job would require. This was to insure we would not have a crash- the most common being running the corner of the compound rest into the chuck or lathe dog. Lathes used by careless people or students will often have a good bit of metal chewed off the LH corner of the compound (where the tee slot for the tool post is located). If you see that on a lathe, it is a sign it was used by unskilled or indifferent people, or was a school shop lathe. If you crash the carriage/compound into a spinning chuck or catch a lathe dog against the compound on the Roundhead Regal lathe, there is a good chance you will damage the lightweight gearing in the headstock. The extra few minutes to verify no potential "crashes" will result when you are running a job in your Roundhead Regal lathe are damned near priceless as the gears in the headstock are damned near made of unobtainium, even as used gears from someone parting out a lathe.

Ditto on the chuck key.. I personally knew a man who was seriously injured by a flying chuck key that hit him in the eye all the way in the other end of the building many years ago...I cringe every time I see a key left in a chuck as yours is..

Basic rule of thumb: If your hand is NOT on it, it does NOT belong in the chuck..

I have the same size Leblond that was made in 1942.. Mine has legs under it though instead of cabinets....I had one before the one I presently have that was a bit rough and had to be repaired and I found another with consecutive serial number.. They both came from auction and both were bought new by Louisiana State University..

If you have threaded spindle, it is 2 3/8 - 5 thread, so get ready to make all of your spindle fittings as you cannot find back plates, face plates, etc with this thread...

A word of caution: The feed gears in the head of this machine are rather delicate..There is a safety clutch on the feed shaft of my machine that will ratchet in case of a crash and I have once or twice made it do its job and was awfully glad it is there... On the lead screw, however, there is no such safety feature.. If you crash while threading, gears will be broken.. Mine broke when I didn't crash anything while I was boring an internal thread in a faceplate...

I oil everything including the head stock with Walmart bar and chain oil .. It is cheap, it stays put, and I only need one oil ....I oil the head stock bearings each time I use the machine along with all of the other oil points...

If your motor has grease fittings, be sure to use the grease purge plugs or you will have a motor full of grease like I had from some trunk monkey going crazy with a grease gun ...The proper way to grease with purge plugs is: 1, remove purge plug usually under the bottom of bearing housing..2, pump proper grease into the bearing until you see the same grease as in your gun come out of the purge plug hole...3, run motor for one minute with purge plug still removed..4, wipe excess grease from purge plug hole and bearing housing.. 5, install purge plug...DO NOT ADD MORE GREASE! After a year, repeat..Your motor and you will be happy for it... Here is a manual:

R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - RUNNING A REGAL - Lathe Instruction Manual - Part 1 (Pgs 1-57) | VintageMachinery.org

R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - RUNNING A REGAL - Lathe Instruction Manual - Part 2 (Pgs 58-124) | VintageMachinery.org

Be Safe.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Update on the lathe today. I opened up the headstock and changed the oil, pulled apart the cross slide and taper attachment, did some cleaning and oiling and adjusting and got the backlash down to about .010. Also pulled the belts off and ordered new belts and sent the motor over to the electric motor shop for new bearings and a good freshening up. Also ordered a new tool post and holders, a live and dead center and a .0005 level to get the bed set.

Will a VFD work with one of those rotary reversing switches?........I dont know,but from what Ive heard ,they dont like breaks in continuity........Out here the rotary switches arent allowed anymore under the wiring code.But if the machine is properly earthed ,I see no harm in them.

Will a VFD work with one of those rotary reversing switches?........I dont know,but from what Ive heard ,they dont like breaks in continuity........Out here the rotary switches arent allowed anymore under the wiring code.But if the machine is properly earthed ,I see no harm in them.

I’ve heard different things about running a vfd on these machines, I can’t justify installing one and plan to leave it as is.

Forget the vfd... If you don't have three phase power, either buy or build a rotary phase converter and be done with it.. VFD is ok for some things but not this.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Forget the vfd... If you don't have three phase power, either buy or build a rotary phase converter and be done with it.. VFD is ok for some things but not this.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

That’s my plan, rotary converter should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I did get the bed leveled today
53fa59b6059685f6668f7a281b16a721.jpg
c6ea6a9da87b9c019a8ee98c27ba37a0.jpg

If you bolt your lathe to the floor, be sure to take test cuts on a bar to make sure your bed is not sprung.. It is easier than you would think to spring the bed of this machine with anchor bolts.... Ramsay 1:)

If you bolt your lathe to the floor, be sure to take test cuts on a bar to make sure your bed is not sprung.. It is easier than you would think to spring the bed of this machine with anchor bolts.... Ramsay 1:)

It’s not bolted down

I wouldn't have thought just sitting the level on the crown of the inverted ways would be accurate enough looking at their slightly battered condition. Give them a good stoning at the very least.

Regards Tyrone.

Tyrone:

You have similar thoughts on the placement of the level to my own thoughts. I never took the crowns of vee ways as being a "critical surface" to measure or level off of. When I level a lathe bed, I stone areas on the flat ways with a very fine oil stone (Arkansas Hard, a white stone). If I feel burrs or scoring, I stone with an "India Medium Hard" small oil stone instead of the Arkansas Hard stone. Once I have areas where I will be setting the level stoned, I sit a matched pair of 1-2-3 blocks on the flat ways. I then place my 18" precision level across the 1-2-3 blocks to span across the bed. I call this "making a bridge", and I mark the locations of the
1-2-3 blocks on the flat ways with a Sharpie. If the lathe bed is wider than my level will span, I use a heavy ground parallel and sit the level on it.

Usually, I wind up making two "bridges" on the bedways- one near the headstock, one at the extreme tailstock end. I use the parallel on one bridge and use my shorter precision level on it. I use the longer lever on the other bridge. This lets me level a lathe bed without disturbing my levels. I routinely check my levels and "buck them in" if the reading does not repeat when turned end-for-end on a surface plate.

I am probably committing heresy or sacrilege in saying it, but I have found that for levelling older engine lathes and similar work, a Starrett 98 series precision level is plenty good. This level reads to something like 0.001"/10" per graduation on the vial. The master precision levels like the Starrett 199 (about 10X the order of accuracy as a 98 series level) are fine for toolroom machine tools and final levelling on turbine erecting work. Early on, I learned that using a 199 series level too early in the process of levelling machinery would have me chasing my tail endlessly. On fine work where I do use the 199 series levels, I rough level with my 98 series levels and when things appear "dead nuts" level, then I first get the 199 series level on it.

I agree about the stoning, as small burrs can throw a precision level way off. I was taught to run the "heel" of my palm lightly on surfaces to feel for burrs, and if I did feel anything, then to lightly drag a fingernail over the same area. Whether burrs were felt or not, if precise work was to be done, I was taught to "kiss off" surfaces with a fine hard oil stone. The other trick is to identify which surfaces on a machine tool bed are "critical" or "reference" surfaces vs surfaces which were rough machined. I am thinking the crests of the vee ways were planed off with the other surfaces on the bed casting, but that was as far as finishing them went. The flat ways, OTOH, were not only planed off, but scraped and checked in reference to each other and to spindle centerline.

Tyrone:

You have similar thoughts on the placement of the level to my own thoughts. I never took the crowns of vee ways as being a "critical surface" to measure or level off of. When I level a lathe bed, I stone areas on the flat ways with a very fine oil stone (Arkansas Hard, a white stone). If I feel burrs or scoring, I stone with an "India Medium Hard" small oil stone instead of the Arkansas Hard stone. Once I have areas where I will be setting the level stoned, I sit a matched pair of 1-2-3 blocks on the flat ways. I then place my 18" precision level across the 1-2-3 blocks to span across the bed. I call this "making a bridge", and I mark the locations of the
1-2-3 blocks on the flat ways with a Sharpie. If the lathe bed is wider than my level will span, I use a heavy ground parallel and sit the level on it.

Usually, I wind up making two "bridges" on the bedways- one near the headstock, one at the extreme tailstock end. I use the parallel on one bridge and use my shorter precision level on it. I use the longer lever on the other bridge. This lets me level a lathe bed without disturbing my levels. I routinely check my levels and "buck them in" if the reading does not repeat when turned end-for-end on a surface plate.

I am probably committing heresy or sacrilege in saying it, but I have found that for levelling older engine lathes and similar work, a Starrett 98 series precision level is plenty good. This level reads to something like 0.001"/10" per graduation on the vial. The master precision levels like the Starrett 199 (about 10X the order of accuracy as a 98 series level) are fine for toolroom machine tools and final levelling on turbine erecting work. Early on, I learned that using a 199 series level too early in the process of levelling machinery would have me chasing my tail endlessly. On fine work where I do use the 199 series levels, I rough level with my 98 series levels and when things appear "dead nuts" level, then I first get the 199 series level on it.

I agree about the stoning, as small burrs can throw a precision level way off. I was taught to run the "heel" of my palm lightly on surfaces to feel for burrs, and if I did feel anything, then to lightly drag a fingernail over the same area. Whether burrs were felt or not, if precise work was to be done, I was taught to "kiss off" surfaces with a fine hard oil stone. The other trick is to identify which surfaces on a machine tool bed are "critical" or "reference" surfaces vs surfaces which were rough machined. I am thinking the crests of the vee ways were planed off with the other surfaces on the bed casting, but that was as far as finishing them went. The flat ways, OTOH, were not only planed off, but scraped and checked in reference to each other and to spindle centerline.

I agree with all of that Joe. That's my technique also.

My " go to " level was a 0.001" in 10 inches instrument. That got used 90% of the time. If it needed to be better than that I had a 0.001" in 20 inches level. I also had a 0.0001" in 10 inches box level but that got next to no use at all. It wasn't really practical on large machines.

Regards Tyrone.

Back