What's new
What's new

New to me old LeBlond Rapid Production Shorty

SScott

Plastic
Good morning and thank you for having me. I just bought this and wanted to share. If you have any information on it such as the chuck so I can get a 3 jaw I would be very grateful. The plan is to restore it and use it at home in a confined space. I think I have some information on it but if I am wrong please correct me. I have an email in to LeBlond to see if they would offer any information.

Serial # is: 13RP626

I was told it is an 8" Swing. It is 3 phase 220V with a 3HP motor. I have zero idea what that air thing on the back of it is. I also do not know what the tailstock is. I will get some specs and measurements when the truck arrives.

Here are some pics:

qODsCK0.jpg

TjHgFem.jpg

CdHT21T.jpg

BfCUeJe.jpg

7nHnYJf.jpg

QGHiUI9.jpg

TN31COc.jpg

qw97pF5.jpg

TrJnCqI.jpg

yXvE5No.jpg

3t8iZNy.jpg

8GIzGBi.jpg

Its a 13 Heavy Duty RP and the "air thing" used to operate a collet system I suppose. The collet closer is the piece LARGER than the spindle nose threads

The 626 says it is from 1942

What ever chuck is put on HAS to fit whatever the spindle nose thread is (some long forgotten Le Blond size). This ordinarily means a back plate will have to be MADE (not bought) to fit the spindle nose before any chuck mounting will take place

I'll guess the tail stock is an add-on from some other make

Last edited:
How do you cut threads with this one? It would seem a major handicap for a someone who wants a general purpose machine especially with almost no bed?

Well, none of the feeds work out to any usable thread... a couple are "close". So single point threading is pretty much out.

No compound. The tailstock looks like it escaped from a Logan, or something similar. Not a great deal to recommend it.

It looks like it is heavily built. I'd think about something like it as a machine for heavy roughing, preparatory to finishing on a different lathe, or grinding.

As a machine to use as the only lathe? Less useful, actually MUCH less useful, but with functioning tailstock die holder setup, even threading could be done.

Not my first choice, nor second, nor third.... it could feed sized work to the Rivett 608..... but frankly, I don't have a lot of need for that. Not a good machine for making model locomotives, although I am sure it "can be done".

If it was the only lathe on the island, I'd use it.

It was never meant to cut threads as it doesn't have half nuts that I can see. You could likely knock out that part that is in the spindle with a pipe through the hole in the left side of the head stock. Then the chuck might screw on if it was made for that lathe.

Thanks. I searched out something as small as possible with some grunt. The goal is to restore it to look and perform like new and as far as threading goes I have all the tooling needed for the barrels I do. I did not realize at first the tailstock was not original so I'm hoping that works out for me or that is a bust. I read above it is an Atlas (thank you) 10" but the lathe is a 13" so I assume it has a plate made to raise it. I will need to really make sure that is accurate. About the only other thing I plan (so far) to use it for other than gunsmithing is knocking out a ton of bronze bushings (really going to need that tailstock to work out). I will post pics of the restoration when I get that done as well as the VFD setup.

SScott,

I would be concerned about the attached photo as it looks like severe wear on that front way.
Hopefully the photo is misleading and it will wipe off, but it looks bad.

Le Blond Shame.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Peter. I will look into that as soon as it arrives. It was supposed to be here yesterday to hopefully will see today.

Back