What's new
What's new

New to me old monarch lathe for my addiction

jeff76

Cast Iron
Picked up a 1942 Monarch 18"CBB lathe (looks like tag says 26.5" swing) today. I will try to get better pics later when I get it unloaded as I know you cant tell much with this one. Unfortunately Im in the process of working on my bigger forklift and it might be a bit before I get it together to unload it.

Jeffthumbnail.jpg

Jeff,
I sent you a PM, but the mailbox is full.
I have a very nice Monarch Steady Rest for
a CBB. If you are interested send me a PM.
spaeth

Nice one. Have to laugh when someone buys a 14" swing lathe and says they just bought a "big lathe". Obviously this is not that large, but it is HD in my book. Please remember to post more pics of it. Always thought Monarchs were eye pleasing. Heard somewhere they were real good lathes too! Very cool acquisition. Regards, John.

Somewhat related. Originally the "C" was added to denote Toolroom
Second link for the "C"

Note that both (from 1934) have the proprietary Monarch flanged spindle nose - not yet D type. Spindle tooling attached by thru bolting

Note subtle difference. C type has hump on QC gear box for Lead Screw Reverse on apron and BB does not

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17524.pdf

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17534.pdf

John: I ran a 1942 Monarch 18" that had the D-6 series spindle nose. I remember distinctly about the date, It was just just about 16 months younger than myself. That would put it in the fall of 1942. Good old lathe, plenty of power, but not a speed demon. Slower speeds than our series 600's.
JH

I finally got it unloaded and got a few more pics. Hoping to do some cleaning and check it out better soon.

Attachments

• clark2.jpg
    clark2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 325
  • clark1.jpg
    clark1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 331
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 377
  • lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 376
I have a 96" long CBB and it has been a great lathe it is my primary lathe in my shop. Actual swing on mine is 20.5 yours looks to be raised so that 26.5 is probably correct swing for yours.

I have a 96" long CBB and it has been a great lathe it is my primary lathe in my shop. Actual swing on mine is 20.5 yours looks to be raised so that 26.5 is probably correct swing for yours.
I look forward to running this one but have a bunch of cleaning up first along with a few things to address. I see its missing one of the clamp blocks for the tailstock underneath. I wonder what the chances are of finding one of these or maybe should just make something. Be nice to have an original.

Jeff: That lathe is substantially bigger than the 18" lathe I mentioned. It looks to be as big as a 26" series 600 we had. Lotta lathe. Good luck.

JH

Today I pulled some covers off to gain access to the motor to see about reconnecting the motor leads for 220 instead of 480 which it was being ran on where i purchased it. I dont see a motor plate on this motor :-( I took the peckerhead cover off and there are only 3 wires. Does this mean the motor is only capable of being ran on the higher voltage? Weighing my options now. If I go the route of using a transformer to step up my voltage what size would you recommend? According the information I have its probably a 10 horse motor. Would appreciate any help or advice I can get here.

Thanks,
Jeff

I bought a new ACME 460/230 three phase dry type general purpose in 2003 and they suggested 3KVA for 1 1/2 HP . It has worked flawlessly since then. Have to hook it up backwards - which ACME was okay with - backwards because step ups are so rare in comparison to step downs.

The following, which I wrote, does not apply of course. Must be getting old timers
Don't forget the "heaters" in the mag starter - they need to be TWICE the amps.. Don't forget the starter coil - it needs the same volts it used before

Today I pulled some covers off to gain access to the motor to see about reconnecting the motor leads for 220 instead of 480 which it was being ran on where i purchased it. I dont see a motor plate on this motor :-( I took the peckerhead cover off and there are only 3 wires. Does this mean the motor is only capable of being ran on the higher voltage? Weighing my options now. If I go the route of using a transformer to step up my voltage what size would you recommend? According the information I have its probably a 10 horse motor. Would appreciate any help or advice I can get here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
I bought a new ACME 460/230 three phase dry type general purpose in 2003 and they suggested 3KVA for 1 1/2 HP . It has worked flawlessly since then. Have to hook it up backwards - which ACME was okay with - backwards because step ups are so rare in comparison to step downs. Don't forget the "heaters" in the mag starter - they need to be TWICE the amps.. Don't forget the starter coil - it needs the same volts it used before

Thanks for the reply John. So 20 KVA then? I'm a little confused at what you mean about the heaters. Would they need to be changed if running the same voltage as before? Going by the chart on the starter panel the heaters are currently sized for 14-16 amps at 480V which should be about right for a ten horse I believe.

Thanks for the reply John. So 20 KVA then? I'm a little confused at what you mean about the heaters. Would they need to be changed if running the same voltage as before? Going by the chart on the starter panel the heaters are currently sized for 14-16 amps at 480V which should be about right for a ten horse I believe.

Boo Boo - I goofed! No change - coil or "heaters"

My apologies.

Back