What's new
What's new

New to me Universal tri-way HBM

marka12161

Stainless
I'll be taking delivery on this thing in a couple of weeks. Common story, shop was liquidating via auction, I considered bidding but passed on it due to no outboard support. Machine didn't sell so auctioneer reached out to me and made me an offer i couldn't refuse. Shipping and rigging will be about 4x purchase price. I'll be buying it sight unseen so hopefully i won't be buying a pile of scrap.

Over all footprint of machine base and spindle overhang is just under 12 ft long by 3 ft wide. Table is 34" x 57". 3 inch spindle with #5MT. Top spindle speed is about 650 rpm. From pics it looks like a bit of a retrofit to hold one of the handles in position and perhaps an aftermarket oil distribution system. I figure weight is between 16,000 and 18,000 lbs and i'm unsure of motor HP and voltage. Motor and mounting plate also look like a retrofit so probably not original. I figure this thing is from mid 1930s to maybe early 1940s. I have no real basis for that guess other than it looks a bit more primitive than some of the mid 1940s version of these machines.

At some point i'll be looking for tooling and perhaps an outboard support and will be on posting some specifics on that topic. Hopefully this thing will be a lot of fun and a nice addition to the shop.

Having some trouble posting pics, will post them once i figure out what's wrong.

Mark

I'll be taking delivery on this thing in a couple of weeks. Common story, shop was liquidating via auction, I considered bidding but passed on it due to no outboard support. Machine didn't sell so auctioneer reached out to me and made me an offer i couldn't refuse. Shipping and rigging will be about 4x purchase price. I'll be buying it sight unseen so hopefully i won't be buying a pile of scrap.

Over all footprint of machine base and spindle overhang is just under 12 ft long by 3 ft wide. Table is 34" x 57". 3 inch spindle with #5MT. Top spindle speed is about 650 rpm. From pics it looks like a bit of a retrofit to hold one of the handles in position and perhaps an aftermarket oil distribution system. I figure weight is between 16,000 and 18,000 lbs and i'm unsure of motor HP and voltage. Motor and mounting plate also look like a retrofit so probably not original. I figure this thing is from mid 1930s to maybe early 1940s. I have no real basis for that guess other than it looks a bit more primitive than some of the mid 1940s version of these machines.

At some point i'll be looking for tooling and perhaps an outboard support and will be on posting some specifics on that topic. Hopefully this thing will be a lot of fun and a nice addition to the shop.

Having some trouble posting pics, will post them once i figure out what's wrong.

Mark

The outboard support is just another boat anchor without the line boring bars.

Regards Tyrone.

Yup, understand. If one can cut a #5 MT, am I correct in assuming these can be shop made?

Yes, a reasonably straightforward turning job - a good exercise in maintaining precision (tip - don't use ''any old crap'' steel look for quality stress relieved because they will bend all ways) ........but you ''really'' need the setting mics to go with them, and they are very hard to find.

Back