What's new
What's new

New York Canal Corp- Oneida-NY Auction

Some nice heavy machines there. It's a shame they aren't a few hundred miles closer.

I noticed in the description on some of the machines that the water didn't reach the electricals, so must not have been too deep.

Kinda wonder why the steady rest doesn't come with the lathe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda wonder why the steady rest doesn't come with the lathe?

because someone wanted it and made them an offer they could not refuse . happens all the time

Out of curiosity I got ahold of a rigger to inquire about getting a couple of the machines out until I could pick them up. Good thing I was sitting down when I read the quote. Way too rich for my budget. To quote Junior Samples, "I ain't no Rockefeller."

Reckon the scrap guys will have a good sale.

The most valuable thing in there is probably the Mohawk.

That American shaper looks great. Flood or not it looks better than most operating ones I see. Looks like a later 40's or early 50's one by the pressure lube system and oil filter. I bet it weighs 10k

Out of curiosity I got ahold of a rigger to inquire about getting a couple of the machines out until I could pick them up. Good thing I was sitting down when I read the quote. Way too rich for my budget. To quote Junior Samples, "I ain't no Rockefeller."

And that heart stopping obscene price was? How many machines and exactly which ones.
Was he loading your truck or trailer or delivering? Delivering how many hundred miles and deadheading back?

Did you call the seller's office as it specifically spells out in the terms of removal?

These types of auctions are usually loaded out by the seller. Or they'll at least facilitate it happening on the cheap if you talk to the right people.

And that heart stopping obscene price was? How many machines and exactly which ones.
Was he loading your truck or trailer or delivering? Delivering how many hundred miles and deadheading back?

I got ahold of the rigger that is physically closest to the sale, about 3 miles. Had them quote picking up the planer and shaper, then setting them at their yard until I could get trucking arranged. The bid was effectively $4000. Then asked about just loading if I had a truck waiting at the sale site, they said deduct $500.

Sorry, in my book that's crazy.

The way I read the auction terms, no loading assistance, and you have 5 days to remove.

Not being able to physically preview the sale is a real handicap. For all I know there's a 20 ton bridge crane above the machines, and you just need to talk to the right people.

I got ahold of the rigger that is physically closest to the sale, about 3 miles. Had them quote picking up the planer and shaper, then setting them at their yard until I could get trucking arranged. The bid was effectively $4000. Then asked about just loading if I had a truck waiting at the sale site, they said deduct $500.

Sorry, in my book that's crazy.

The way I read the auction terms, no loading assistance, and you have 5 days to remove.

Not being able to physically preview the sale is a real handicap. For all I know there's a 20 ton bridge crane above the machines, and you just need to talk to the right people.

on the 2nd part of his bid you should have ask him why so generous

Through another forum I have corresponded with the person that won the shaper. There is a bridge crane, so loading isn't an issue. You'd think the auctioneer would have been smart enough to mention that fact.

Prices seem a bit high to be going as scrap. Looks like one buyer took most of the machine tools.

Through another forum I have corresponded with the person that won the shaper. There is a bridge crane, so loading isn't an issue. You'd think the auctioneer would have been smart enough to mention that fact.

Prices seem a bit high to be going as scrap. Looks like one buyer took most of the machine tools.

Maybe being shipped to S. America or india.

You'd think the auctioneer would have been smart enough to mention that fact. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron -

I've followed these guy's auctions for years. They have poor descriptions and pictures on many occasions. The good part is that if you can actually get eyes on sometimes you can really make out. Got my Heavy 10 lathe on one of their auctions at a very good price and it was in great shape but presented very poorly by them. There is an old thread over on the SB sub forum that I wrote on that adventure. Like any other profession there are auctioneers who do a great job and ones who don't. The poor ones are sometimes better to get deals from - but you have to know what you are doing. The ones I like to buy from are not the ones I would ever have sell for me!

Dale

There is a bridge crane, so loading isn't an issue. You'd think the auctioneer would have been smart enough to mention that fact.

That's not how it works at all.

If they say you specifically cannot use the crane or the building is not under power or they sold the crane remote in the auction (it happens all the time lol) then you might not be using the crane.

When I show up in a neon vest and a hard hat and grab the crane controls nobody says a damn thing.

I have never had an auction co say I couldn't load something I bought. I have had the sellers state such, well, forbid me from using their forklifts because I wasn't "certified". In that situation I had the auction co rent me my own forklift and carried on loading my shit.

I bought a bunch of stuff at one auction where they sold the cranes. The buyer didn't want anyone using his new cranes. I had a chat with him and explained I had the exact same hoist in my building and knew how to use it and gave him $50. He was happy with that and I loaded my shit while everyone else waited on the one forklift.

Back