What's new
What's new

Newbie -- South Bend Lathe question

toddopong

Plastic
Hi all.

I don't know anything about machining, but I found myself the owner of one gigantic lathe that is sitting in my quonset. My father in law passed away 4 years ago, and it was his and we ended up buying the farm so now I have it. I don't see myself getting into the hobby of turning metal, as I am much better with dealing with wood products and don't have skill for metal...yet.

I don't know much information about it other than it is a South Bend Model 140H with a 16" wing and 12' bed. I will snap more pics when I go to the shop.

I'm reaching out to you experts to gauge what the value is of this thing. I dont know what FIL paid for it, and I don't want to do bad by him by 'giving it away' for less than I should. I'd rather someone else has it and can appreciate it because otherwise it sits where it sits for another 20 years and takes up space and won't get used.

Thanks for your time!

toddopong,
I would suggest you post this over in the South Bend section/forum (here on Practical Machinist), you may get more responses there.
Generally, the buying audience gets smaller as the machines get bigger. The age, condition and how the lathe is outfitted/tooled will dictate where the value is. The serial # on South Bend lathes can usually be found on the far right end of the bed if you're standing facing the front of the machine. That will tell how old it is. Good pictures are a must and should include closeups of the bed/ways, any informational tags or plates, and of tooling and attachments that come with it. Does it run ???
Good luck with it.
CWC(4)

Very early thirties, Series O, and the "H" confirms 12 foot bed. Maybe a farm shop or person interested in drive shaft work

Doubtful it will bring as much as $1K - even in reasonably good shape for its ninety years

South Bend discontinued the "O" before 1940 as being obsolete, so its not like parts are laying around much anymore

You can see the next iteration 141H here on Page 7 - and note it is a "standard change gear" version - meaning it depends upon a pile of loose change gears

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1934_cat_94/1934_cat_94.pdf

good luck

Last edited:
Creampuff or decent condition it is a nice lathe for a farm. Not very much demand otherwise
Could be zero to $2,000
I agree with what Johnoder said.
I would love to have it but for lack of room would not take it for free.

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses, guys. I'm with ya, it's monstrous artifact. I mean, it's awesome that it's a 90 year old piece of machinery, but literally 0 practical uses for it, ESPECIALLY for me as I have yet to pick up metal work for a hobby.

From what I'm hearing, if I got an offer in teh ballpark of $1k cash, I will gladly free up space in a heartbeat :)

From what I'm hearing, if I got an offer in teh ballpark of $1k cash, I will gladly free up space in a heartbeat :)

It still depends on condition AND if there is any tooling, since we ain't seen it, its hard to say. If no tooling and rusty, you might be lucky to get $500 for it. Loads of tooling and well cared for, you might do better. Do you have a forklift to load it? Buyer has to look at that cost too. If no way to load, its rusty, no tooling, your best option might be "Free, you load", if you really want the space it occupies.

Well they still need photos, and some useful comment on things like the presence or absence of that stack of loose change gears

Here is a how to on the photo posting

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...res-south-bend-forum-372508/?highlight=photos

Have fun

Appreciate the responses, guys. I'm with ya, it's monstrous artifact. I mean, it's awesome that it's a 90 year old piece of machinery, but literally 0 practical uses for it, ESPECIALLY for me as I have yet to pick up metal work for a hobby.

Back