What's new
What's new

Niagara Machine and Tool - Shear/press - ID Help

GregSY

Diamond
I purchased this today....can anyone tell me what it is called and/or any background on it?

It has a shear on one end and a die / press affair on the other.

I am guessing from the weight of it it is not made of titanium, magnesium, or aluminum.

Sorry I can't get the pic to rotate

Niagara.jpg

Mine was called an iron worker when I bought it and again when I sold it. They are cast steel I believe and do a good job.
What is the flywheel driven one in the second pic?

It's another Niagara 48" shear he's selling. He wanted a bit more than I wanted to pay...but I think he might soften up by tomorrow.

So I made a deal on the other shear, needs some work but hard to overlook the obvious quality compared to the junk they sell nowadays.niagara shear 44 a.jpgniagara shear 44.jpg

There are some Niagara Catalogues on line here
Internet Archive Search: Niagara Machinery
I didn’t see your foot shear in this 1901 catalogue but this looks much like your combined shear and punch .
The Niagara Machine and Tool Works : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Maybe the other one will turn up in another year.
There may be more Catalogues on the Hathi Trust site or perhaps on Vintage Machinery .
Regards,
Jim

We had a number 2 in our shop when I was a kid, and that's been 60 years ago, it was an antique then. very well made, next to indestructible. gave it to one of our employees years ago.

Back