What's new
What's new

Nichols Horizontal Spindle Removal

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I started tearing apart my Nichols mill. I would like to to take the spindle out so I can remove the head. I was wondering if anyone can tell if the spindle comes out the front or the rear of the mill?

3BAB081A-6B50-4EBC-9F8B-4DB02604FB55.jpg
0B094662-284C-4F83-B19E-FA924CCAB321.jpg
86FC35C6-8D4B-4531-AC20-3972FA33E9A3.jpg

I have a Nichols spindle in a box in my garage and it would have to be removed from the front because the back bearing is smaller than the front one. Do you have the high speed model or the five step pulley one? There are manuals all over for these machines with complete part breakdowns.

I have a Nichols spindle in a box in my garage and it would have to be removed from the front because the back bearing is smaller than the front one. Do you have the high speed model or the five step pulley one? There are manuals all over for these machines with complete part breakdowns.

I am not sure if I have the high speed model. There is a gear box on the back of the mill, in between the the belt housing and the head. I am not sure if I have to remove the belt housing and the gearbox to access the spindle.

Essentially, you remove the step pulley at the rear of the spindle, and then the dust cover and bearing preload adjuster at the rear (behind the pulley. Then remove the spindle by pulling it out from the front. Don’t drop the tapered roller bearings. (You will also have to remove the six bolts that hold the t slot face around the spindle at the front, which it appears you have already done)

My particular step pulley was attached to the spindle via a tapered flange bushing. Removing the sliding head itself is a bit more complex than just removing the spindle, as you will also have to remove at least one outer spindle bearing race and the sleeve that goes around the spindle that the head lever and motor arm turn on.

I am fairly certain that you have to remove some or all of the gearbox to access the spindle on that model. Mine is just the intermediate speed model that only has the gearbox integral to the motor. I have messed around a bit with a Nichols that had a spindle gearbox, but not opened it up, as it was not mine.

I have a non-gearbox Nichols, and IIRC I had to do some pulling at the rear before I could free the spindle to come out the front.

I pulled the spindle on one of the "doghouse" older style Nichols- IIRC with the preload collar and front spindle cover off I encouraged the spindle to move by hammering with a small sledge against a piece of 2x4 against the pulley end of the spindle. It was tight due to nice bearing fits, but the spindle came out without additional drama.

As a rule of thumb I've never come across any machine tool spindle that didn't come out towards the action. That applies to lathes, milling machines, Hor bores etc. I've never removed a spindle out of the back.

Regards Tyrone.

I managed to get the spindle out. It came out pretty easily actually, nothing seized or mangled. I had to remove the belt cover and the rear gear box. The rear spindle bearing is the sealed type and the forward bearings are open type (and completely dry). Does this mean I have a high speed head?

BF01524A-60DA-40B7-8862-2F9F507E4F59.jpg

Some more pics of all the bits of the mill. I plan on stripping and repainting everything.

31B86AE9-B729-4341-A35C-29AB2190FF74.jpg
B622C68E-9342-45D2-8749-FF59EF092BF3.jpg
6DB2D836-785C-400E-BA8C-87E800AE7900.jpg
74358485-F14D-4CF1-887F-76409EAA0155.jpg
5E998A07-C5C0-4082-B4A2-237A5127272E.jpg

I have no idea how to get these pics to be right side up, sorry for the upside down pictures!

Wow!!! That is a great start. You wouldn't know of a vertical head laying around for sale for one of these?

I just recently found a vertical head that I plan on rebuilding to use with the mill once it is back together. I am on the hunt for a horizontal arbor support and a toolroom model dial/handle. If I come across a vertical head, I will definitely let you know.

Back