What's new
What's new

NMTB 50 taper with 5/8 11 drawbar and boring head question

marka12161

Stainless
When i bought the Kempsmith #1G universal mill, i bought up a bunch of tooling as well. In the mix were a couple of boring heads both of which have what appears to be nmtb 50 tapers but with 5/8 11 threads for the drawbar. All my other nmtb 50 taper tooling has 1" 11 threads. What's up with that?

Also,
The large boring head looks to be large for my machine (3HP motor). Am i overthinking this?

A bit ;) in your shoes I'd knock up a drawbar to fit the tooling (allthread will do) and not worry about the size of the head V machine HP , boring head work is not normally high HP hogging.

if the machine is a 50 taper it can hold some pretty large tooling. I just bought a huge boring head at an auction, 15" diameter that mounts directly to a 50 taper spindle. It must weigh 150lbs. I have also seen some pretty large face mills on a 50 taper sized machine.

Although much less popular, I believe that 5/8-11 is one of the two standard threads for NMTB holders. I have a couple with that thread as well.

Paolo

Thanks guys. The body of the boring head is about 6" dia so maybe not so big in the grand scheme of things after all. Thank you for tolerating the newbie.

Back