What's new
What's new

No tailstock

schmism

Plastic
I picked up an old 13" round top leblond Regal for the home shop. Unfortunately it didn't come with a tailstock.
Until I can round one up, is my next best choice for drilling holes a drill chuck with a straight shank into a boring bar holder?

On a second note, if anyone knows of a tailstock let me know.

I picked up an old 13" round top leblond Regal for the home shop. Unfortunately it didn't come with a tailstock.
Until I can round one up, is my next best choice for drilling holes a drill chuck with a straight shank into a boring bar holder?

Not if the compound and a toolpost are involved, no.

Done RIGHT - monoblock right on the topslide of the cross, not involved with TP nor compound at all - it is the FIRST BEST choice, actually, not the "next best".

One-hole tailstocks with handwheel - not handlever or capstan feed - outright suck for drilling.

If you need to turn 'tween centers whilst seeking a TS?

Quick and dirty is to use a steady to hold and position a center, and angle-brace it. A webbed angle plate can work, too. "Suboptimal", surely, and yah gotta get creative as to holding and positioning a center, but either of those are do-able enough.

So is adapting a turret.

And if yah can do that? Adapting an 'alien' TS is about the same work, just less useful once done.

Yah don't have a lot of other options, just yet, do yah?

On a second note, if anyone knows of a tailstock let me know.

No point to this title...try following the rules.

You can pick up a tail on eBay and make a base to make it on center. Even a base made of hard wood could do... a day’s work to have a temporary tail.

Even a small one would make your lathe have a tail..and you can still get your money back any time you wish.
Logan lathe 10" model 200 Tailstock | eBay

Oak plywood might be good for the riser.
3/4'' ( 18 mm) Rectangle Oak Plywood for Woodcrafts | eBay

Pattern makers wood likely best.

And the build up can be the pattern for one made of cast iron or steel.

Even a base made of hard wood could do... a day’s work to have a temporary tail.

Oak plywood might be good for the riser.

Ummmh.. since are ratting ourselves and our redneck ways out in public view.. noo.

Buy a high-grade SOLID Oak STAIR TREAD. ELSE "carmelized" or "fozzilized" AKA cooked bamboo flooring or bamboo kitchen cutting board.

They are hard, straight, generally as stable as shiney-wood, if not more so, tougher as well and don't make annoying "birds nest" chips when you go to cuttin' at 'em.

Ummmh.. since are ratting ourselves and our redneck ways out in public view.. noo.

Buy a high-grade SOLID Oak STAIR TREAD. ELSE "carmelized" or "fozzilized" AKA cooked bamboo flooring or bamboo kitchen cutting board.

They are hard, straight, generally as stable as shiney-wood, if not more so, tougher as well and don't make annoying "birds nest" chips when you go to cuttin' at 'em.

Much of machine parts came from a wood patern...tested and then made of metal ...
lucky to find a tail..could take years...

Much of machine parts came from a wood patern...tested and then made of metal ...

Tragedy of our JR HS / HS Industrial Arts build-out, tail end of the 1950's South Hills of Pittsburgh - where they "know about this s**t", was that the damned fool Archeotick put the Chem lab right over the shop where we shudda had ignorant open air!

Nice powerful forced-air forge furnace with a nat gas pipe the size of a sewer line as had been installed could not be USED!

Sooo.. we got the course on patternmaking, leather pre-form off a store-bought roll for radiusing inside corners, as well as wood, (those were "pre-bondo" days if yah recall). Made up our patterns, "pounded the drag" of genuine Michigan green...

Then got "eyeball" graded on the sand by an experienced instructor... but never got to pour even an OUNCE of ACTUAL Iron!

Only things we cast were lead deadblow hammer heads off the smaller furnaces, and those were the standard "kit" with handles and molds.

Seeing what Denis Foster and others on PM have managed to do on slender resources?

We surely cudda done ZAMAK, shiney-wood or even Bronze in smaller items. Several of us DID do, one classmate in 22 K Gold (mind, he was a dentist's son!) .. but all of that to-home, not at school.

Must have been the damned Liability Lawsters as prevented our Skewl from "finding a way"?

As many lathes that are for sell, why would you buy one without a tail stock?, I know of a few lathes that went to the scrap yard because of the missing tail stock...Phil

As many lathes that are for sell, why would you buy one without a tail stock?, I know of a few lathes that went to the scrap yard because of the missing tail stock...Phil

Didn't bother ME much.

My view, a one-hole handwheel-operated TS is next to useless anyway.

One 10EE has a TS donated off the other one - needs refurbed and fitted. Meanwhile, I just MOVE the center the "usual way".. with a shim alongside.

There's a casting and most of the bits to rebuild another 10EE one, courtesy of a generous PM brother.

And the Enco Hex turret.. which is FAR more useful.

The HBX-360-BC has it's OEM one, but it is a through-bore, rack controlled multi-mode capstan and fine-feed mode-shifter with wear compensation a patented built-in adjustment.

The "basic" TS center-support function just isn't all that hard to substitute for, if/as/when yah even need it at all.

And yah drill with the CARRIAGE, anyway. That's where the rapid traverse and the power feeds live, after all.

Missing TS?

BFD.

And yah could put your out end center on the cariage ...but wait where would you put your tool bit...

LOL! Across the tee-rest for yer hand gravers, of course!

Yah didn't think the technique was limited to WOOD or itty-bitty watchmaker's lathes didja?

Filister-head screw crowning, rivit-heads, chamfers and radiusing in general, grooves for snap-rings or "O" rings.. Blitz-quick and works a right treat, same as it always has.

What ELSE were ya gonna do with all them "good metal!" bustid taps, files, power hacksaw blades, drills, and endmills yah were too bleedin' impoverished to throw away?

Why.. make parting-off tooling, scriber tips, de-burring tools.. and hand-gravers.

Of course.

LOL! Across the tee-rest for yer hand gravers, of course!

Yah didn't think the technique was limited to WOOD or itty-bitty watchmaker's lathes didja?

Filister-head screw crowning, chamfers and radiusing in general, grooves for snap-rings or "O' rings.. Blitz-quick and works a right treat, same as it always has.

Or if you had a sky hook...and a left hand C clamp.

Or if you had a sky hook...and a left hand C clamp.

Sky hooks cost too much. Converted a cheap Chicom truck-bed boom instead. Cee clamps are as ambidextorus as I am.

Use of a supplementary structure is not actually a joke. Lookit a DH and TS on a milling table, or a T&C grinder.. pair of tailstocks on a table ....and then .. "here comes the CUTTER!"

:)

A(ny) machine tool is meant to be the seed-corn for solving problems.

Not BECOME the problem.

I would also check HGR Surplus Used Machinery & Industrial Equipment | HGR Industrial Surplus. They do have Tail Stocks there from time to time. Enter Tail Stock in the search window. They do have a Very large (I assume) Trail Stock there now listed as 13", has a high lower but weight is listed as 200 pounds. It may be be for a 26" lathe, however the Tail Stock on my 24" Hendey (1950's vintage gear drive actual swing 26") is quite a bit heavier than 200 pounds. Might be worth a call, ask for a photo with measurement tape. They are asking $270 for it but the longer it sits and not sold they will lower the price. Keep an eye on them, I've seen quite a few Tail Stocks sold there! I got one for my L$S Model X lathe for $47, didn't need it but at the price I purchased it! Don't rely on the Salesman knowing anything!

I would also check HGR Surplus Used Machinery & Industrial Equipment | HGR Industrial Surplus. They do have Tail Stocks there from time to time. Enter Tail Stock in the search window. They do have a Very large (I assume) Trail Stock there now listed as 13", has a high lower but weight is listed as 200 pounds. It may be be for a 26" lathe, however the Tail Stock on my 24" Hendey (1950's vintage gear drive actual swing 26") is quite a bit heavier than 200 pounds. Might be worth a call, ask for a photo with measurement tape. They are asking $270 for it but the longer it sits and not sold they will lower the price. Keep an eye on them, I've seen quite a few Tail Stocks sold there! I got one for my L$S Model X lathe for $47, didn't need it but at the price I purchased it! Don't rely on the Salesman knowing anything!

Well "COVID-19" still a major disruptor... but if/as/when we ever get back to "normal'.. a run from Illinois TO HGR for an eyeballs-on look at best of several candidates could be well worth the time and fuel.

I've made several runs to McKean, Golden, and ERC that way after set-up contact. All were well worth the excursion. AND the prior planning.

FAR the better grade of goods than HGR, the lot of them, of course!

But HGR doesn't CREATE junk.

Just flows more of it as a byproduct of moving-along the still useful in higher volume without any advance cherry-picking or testing of what they traffic in.

I agree there is a lot of Junk at HGR but I got some great deals too! The salesman don't know anything and the guy doing the listing less. I've told my salesman (contact only one hoping he will know I'm a buyer and not there just to kick the tires) to tell the guy making photos to include the back side of chucks! Some he does but too many are not. I just corrected them the other day, didn't think it would be changed but it was. They had a Soldering Iron listed as an Electric Screw Driver! Where is McKean, Golden and ERC? Maybe I shouldn't know, I spend tooo much at HGR!

I agree there is a lot of Junk at HGR but I got some great deals too! The salesman don't know anything and the guy doing the listing less. I've told my salesman (contact only one hoping he will know I'm a buyer and not there just to kick the tires) to tell the guy making photos to include the back side of chucks! Some he does but too many are not. I just corrected them the other day, didn't think it would be changed but it was. They had a Soldering Iron listed as an Electric Screw Driver! Where is McKean, Golden and ERC? Maybe I shouldn't know, I spend tooo much at HGR!

HGR is sorta "in between" these two, yah check the map.

McKean Machinery Sales, Inc

Equipment Recovery Corp - Industrial Equipment

- for me, ERC were Dee Cee motors more than machinery.

Either way - call or email AHEAD, work up a "short list".

Remainderman / surplus / recycling biz, stuff comes and goes, there's no build a week in advance for inventory like a septic tank stocked full of Big Mac greased saltburgers.

Back