What's new
What's new

Now there is YARD ART

Joe in NH

Diamond
Or maybe "road art?"

Nothing makes a statement of what you are like a mail box post.

290231d1590887553-now-there-yard-art-s-l500.jpg

This one on Ebay. Fairly reasonable price all considered.

Joe in NH

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,032
I've been thinking about doing the same thing with a 2005 Yamaha V-Max, can't seem to be able to sell it and I am not adult enough to ride it.

You mean "not indestructible enough".

Yah don't actually "ride" a two-wheeler. Yah sort of "wear it".

The good ones are more akin to "extended skin" than extra clothing.

That's why they can be so beloved.

In the case of Yammerhammers, OTOH?

They wear YOU!

"Clear OUT", if given the chance!

:D

If I stuck that out in front of my house, scrappers would have it in their truck bed before the sun came up.

A friend of mine had his mail box run over. replaced it. was run over again! So he used a 8X8 and mounted the mail box on the top. Was run over again but did damage to the jerk doing it as paint marks was on the 8X8 and some vehicle pieces scatter around.. Figured it would end so he replaces it with another 8X8. Some time went but but they returned and ripped it out, 8X8 had chain marks on it! He had a Well Driller drill a hole 10' deep and put in well casing that he filled with concrete. Jerks came back again, he found a bumper and chain , mail box was perfect condition! Called the Police and gave them the bumper with the license Plate. Problem ended!

A friend of mine had his mail box run over. replaced it. was run over again! So he used a 8X8 and mounted the mail box on the top. Was run over again but did damage to the jerk doing it as paint marks was on the 8X8 and some vehicle pieces scatter around.. Figured it would end so he replaces it with another 8X8. Some time went but but they returned and ripped it out, 8X8 had chain marks on it! He had a Well Driller drill a hole 10' deep and put in well casing that he filled with concrete. Jerks came back again, he found a bumper and chain , mail box was perfect condition! Called the Police and gave them the bumper with the license Plate. Problem ended!

Reminds me of industrial arts class in HS. Shop teacher was getting mad that people kept killing the schools mailbox, so he turned it into a project. Some students cut & welded up a serious hard box, others planted a 10" DOM pipe six feet down (filled with concrete, inside and out). Welded the box to the top. No more mailbox baseball :D

Had a friend yrs ago that lived out in the corn at the time... bout 90 miles from here. Had a problem with some asshat knocking his mailbox over routinely...

Guy goes to the local dump, scores a crank out of a Cat 3208 and buzz-welds the mailbox onto the flange. Sets the other end in about 4 feet of cement.

Asshat came buzzing down the road in his Pinto. Whonggggg. Crank rang like a bell. The paramedics found the guy out in the corn patch. The remains of the Pinto engine went through the spot where the transmission was. And the cops chose not to say anything.

I like that story! In my case, teenagers every year would smash all the mailboxes along our road with baseball bats, or throw pumpkins, etc....so I got a mailbox built from 1/4" stainless steel, tested by running a caterpillar tractor over it without damage....my mailbox has survived numerous attacks while neighbors still lose theirs, I suspect a few kids have broken baseball bats now ;)

I too became victim to the "mailbox malady." Studying the system out (engineer here) I realized that the usual malfactors are car-borne, hanging out windows with baseball bats, and traversing the roadway on the usual right-hand side.

Hmm, says I, there is an electric light pole about 20 feet "downstream" from my mailbox - if I move the mailbox perhaps less than 6 feet "upstream" of the light pole, a malfactor won't be able to "pull back" quick enough to avoid the pole if the car is going at any speed. Legally I can't attach anything to the light pole (not my property) although this might have a more defensive effect.

So I moved my mailbox 6' upstream. Nice piece of 3" boiler tube perhaps schedule 80 topped by a horizontal flat plate covered in a piece of pine cut to the size of the bottom of the mailbox - this being a sort of "shear pin" if someone actually DOES clobber the mailbox. Fail the wood and perhaps the relatively disposable mailbox can be straightened? I was sure to place the mailbox in the approximate line of the light pole.

It's late May and graduation time and a little beyond dusk - a prime time for mailbox malady. I'm in bed with my head near the window to the street and up the street I hear screeching tires, a crash, and then "ha,ha,ha." The sound of delighted infants at play. Then I hear it at the next closer house. "Ha,ha,ha" they said again tires screeching.

Then as the vehicle draws opposite me I hear a CRASH - KA-THUMP, and then the sound of a car screeching to a halt. Then I hear a car door open and the words "Are you all right?" Murmuring. Some epithets. A car door closes, and then the sound of screech tires as the car speeds away.

At this point I just HAD to go out and check in my pajamas.

Yes, the mailbox was a score, knocked off its pedestal. But the flesh, and hair, and perhaps a spattering of blood embedded in the rough surface of the light pole showed that the best defense is one the offensive forces inflict upon themselves. Alcohol DOES slow the reaction time so perhaps this acted in my favor?

I have not had any more mailbox issues since then.

Joe in NH

Back