What's new
What's new

Nuclear Waste Welder

Electron beam welding still has a few advantages. It is done in high vacuum, thus completely preventing oxidation and any weld contamination that can be introduced even by a shielding gas. And unlike stir welding, there is no metal tool in contact with the weld and, again, no possibility of introducing foreign material into the weld. The effect of even traces of contamination in the weld can have unexpected consequences...especially after 100,000 years.

Thanks for the video JHolland
Nuclear power could be so useful if the waste wasn't so evil. I can't see how it's even practical to use considering the cost of waste disposal. It must be.
Powering a military submarine. Yes
Power for public power useage. No
That friction welding is a interesting welding process. They said up to 75mm thick. That cone shaped cutter/mixing tip looks like it's close to three inches so they are talking about actual weld penetration. That may be welding the full thickness of the cylinder. That's some serious welding.
Welding steel plate like that that could be useful in ship building.
I googled a search on it and they are working on it.
It's still to costly to set up for large scale. Here is some interesting information on where friction welding is going. The information we have at the tip of our finger is endless.
Welding with friction - Welding Productivity

What little I know of it its copper in lead in concrete... the lead can't handle the temperatures. The lead and concrete block the radiation.

While looking for information on cast iron's creep rate, i found a paper concerning experiments done on samples taken from cast iron casks for nuclear storage.

the copper is for corrosion protection to last 100,000 years.

one of the papers i found looking for cast iron's creep rate:

The creep strain at room temperature, 100 and 125°C has been investigated for the ferritic nodular
cast iron insert intended for use as the load-bearing part of canisters for long term disposal of spent
nuclear fuel. The microstructure consisted of ferrite, graphite nodules of different sizes, compacted
graphite and pearlite. Creep tests have been performed for up to 41,000 h.
www.skb.se/publication/2149126/R-10-64.pdf

Very impressive weld!
I'm thinking that would not be a place to visit:eek: Tweeking tweekers with radiation dose on top of that, would that be like horror film zombies on steroids?
Thought of this old B (orC) movie of radioactive mutants:
YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks for the video JHolland
Nuclear power could be so useful if the waste wasn't so evil. I can't see how it's even practical to use considering the cost of waste disposal. It must be.
Powering a military submarine. Yes
Power for public power useage. No

There are designs for newer plants that would utilize some of the 'spent' fuel created by the current power plants. They aren't being built due to fear from the public about nuclear power.

Check out the Nuclear Option --> YouTube

It's an interesting watch.

There are designs for newer plants that would utilize some of the 'spent' fuel created by the current power plants. They aren't being built due to fear from the public about nuclear power.

Good subject, watching the nova program reminded me of hearing about russia developing nuke plants that use spent fuel or depleted uranium (nuclear waste) as fuel.

Links to articles:

Russian Power Plant That Uses Weapons-Grade Plutonium From Decommissioned Nuclear Weapons And Radioactive Waste To Generate Electricity Named ‘Top Plant’ By U.S Magazine

No nuclear waste: Fuel of future produced at Russia's high-tech underground plant — RT World News

I started grade school in 1962. That puts me in the generation that had [Duck and cover] emergency drills. I guess that left some negative thinking about the subject. The cold war was heating up. There is a difference between using it for a bomb and for fuel/power.
It would be great to put the wast products to use. Other than bombs.
The facts are that in a imperfect world accidents will happen. It looks like they are using the disaster in Japan as a lab for learning how to deal with it. We only get one earth to destroy, or maintain.
I would be dead without the use of radiation aimed at my neck. It has uses we just need to take extreme care with using it.
It's almost like an alien life form that landed on earth from space. We woke it up. :D

I started grade school in 1962. That puts me in the generation that had [Duck and cover] emergency drills. I guess that left some negative thinking about the subject. The cold war was heating up. There is a difference between using it for a bomb than for power.
It would be great to find a use for the wast products.
The facts are that in a imperfect world accidents will happen. It looks like they are using the disaster in Japan as a lab for learning how to deal with it. We only get one earth to destroy, or maintain.
I would be dead without the use of radiation aimed at my neck. It has uses we just need to take extreme care with using it.
It's almost like an alien life form that landed on earth from space. :D

It's also natural..... there are a number of sites in Africa where nuclear reactors operated.

Nature's Nuclear Reactors: The 2-Billion-Year-Old Natural Fission Reactors in Gabon, Western Africa - Scientific American Blog Network
I

Back