What's new
What's new

O/T ice grinder/crusher wanted

Joe Michaels

Diamond
As some of you know, I am involved in the operations and maintenance of the steam plant at Hanford Mills Museum in NY State. Yesterday, on the 4th of July, the Mill did its usual activities with the public. This includes making ice cream with the freezer belted up to a small steam engine. Ice that was cut on the mill's pond this past February is brought up from the ice-house and used to chill the freezer.

The problem or bottleneck seems to be getting enough ice chipped or crushed for each batch of ice cream. The museum staff and volunteers attack the ice blocks with what look like curry combs and ice picks to get the ice into smaller chunks. These are then fed into a small hand cranked ice grinder. This is a bottleneck as the hand cranked ice grinder cannot produce enough crushed ice fast enough to keep up with what each batch in the freezer needs. This is why I am posting here.

When I was a kid in Brooklyn, NY, in the 1950's-60's, there were still ice trucks. These trucks carried large blocks of ice, and had engine driven ice crushers or ice grinders mounted on the body of the truck. The grinders were driven by about a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine, and could handle a half block (about 25 lb) or ice in nothing flat. The ice grinders or chippers were all made by a firm called
Stimmel Brothers, in Long Island City (Queens), NY. Stimmel's main line was making winches for tow trucks, but they had a steady production of the ice grinders going as well. Stimmel ice grinders were found on docks serving fishing boats, as well as on the ice trucks. I remember the ice trucks and the grinders on them quite well. Unfortunately, Stimmel Brothers as a company is long gone, and searches on ebay, "Enginads" and similar have failed to turn up anything remotely like one of the old ice grinders used on the ice trucks.

There was nothing fancy about these ice grinders. The housings were cast iron with the Stimmel Brother name and address on the end plates of the cast iron bodies. The body of each grinder incorporated a hopper to hold the ice blocks. I suspect there was some sort of toothed drum and possibly some stationary teeth inside the grinder or chipper. When I was a kid, on some summer weekends, my parents would hold a barbecue in the backyard. Relatives and neighbors arrived, and ice was needed to cool the beer, soda, and wine and a watermelon. I was stationed at the curb with a galvanized steel washtub and orders to flag down an ice truck. The ice trucks normally served businesses during the weekdays, supplying crushed ice to places like fish markets and butcher shops and some restaurants. On weekends, the ice trucks cruised the quiet residential streets, knowing there'd be parties and barbecues. I'd flag the ice truck and ask the drive to sell us a 50 lb cake, cutting the cake in half and chipping one half and leaving the other half intact. The drivers were aces with the ice picks and tongs, quickly getting a 50 lb cake out from under tarps, cleaving it in half. The driver would then take my washtub and fire up the B & S engine. Seeing a small gasoline engine was not real common in Brooklyn and I was a kid who loved machinery anyway. The driver would stuff a 25 lb chunk of ice into the hopper of the grinder and out came crushed ice into the wash tub. He'd put the other 25 lb chunk on top of the crushed ice. I'd run up the driveway and get my father, who would get another relative. They'd come down the driveway to pay for the ice and carry the washtub and the ice in it back to our yard.

It seemed like ice trucks were a common thing, and then one day, they were gone. I suspect that ice making machines producing loads of ice cubes killed off the ice trucks. When I was a kid, buying a bag of ice cubes at the supermarket was unknown, and convenience stores selling bags of ice cubes were years in the future.

Now, we are looking around for one of the old ice grinders as was used on the ice trucks and on some of the fish docks. It does not have to be a Stimmel Brothers ice grinder, but something of the same size/type. We'll belt it off one of the steam engines or maybe a hit and miss engine and put it to good use. If anyone has a lead on this sort of ice crusher or ice grinder, please let me know.

As I wrote, these were compact but solidly built machines. They were driven by about a 5 HP B & S engine thru a vee belt or sprocket chain (depending on whose ice truck you were looking at). About all I seem to find are modern ice crushers for restaurants, which bear no resemblance to the old Stimmel Brothers crushers, or hand crushers made for kitchen countertops. The few old time ice crushers I've seen are too small or too light. I doubt there are any of the old ice trucks sitting at the back of some storage yard or junkyard by this point in time, but maybe in an ice house or fish dock there might still be one of the crushers. Any help is appreciated.

Gotta love Ebay where hopper covers become plaques.

Joe, I may have a modern ice grinder head in stock. It's just the actual cutter and sleeve the cutter works in, stainless if I recall correctly. You'd have to make a hopper and drive for the cutter. You think you can work from that, you're more than welcome to the thing IF I can find it.

Franz:

Thanks for your kind offer. I will definitely take you up on it, assuming you find the ice grinder parts. What's your favorite beverage ?
I am sure we will meet up one of these days !

Best regards-
Joe Michaels

Good news Joe. I just found it on the "what the hell are you saving that hunk of crap for shelf"
I even personally held it without drawing blood.
You'll have to promise no plywood will be used in the construction of the hopper for this fine antiquity that took me years to know what I hauled it home for.

Stand by for excavation report. I know it's a few years deep.

Franz is using the much loved sorting and storage methodology commonly known as
the "Chronological Sedimentary Filing system"....:skep:

As the material comes into the storage area, it is carefully applied in "layers".....:D

Like allot of us use.....

Last edited:
Hello Franz:

Thank you for excavating and offering the ice grinder parts. Being retired from NYPA, I am sure no one will object if I stray into R G & E territory.

I promise not to use plywood for the hopper and other parts. Chances are the hopper will be white oak with blacksmith-made corner irons, and the mounting stand will be made out of steel angle based on what is required.

Can I come out your way sometime in August-September ? Things are pretty busy around here, and the ice grinder is not needed until next July 4th. It will likely take me that long to design and gather old odds and ends to make the balance of it.

I look forward to meeting you, and please let me know your 'druthers for a favorite drink (beer, whisky, etc).

Regards-
Joe Michaels

Here is a link to a smokestak thread where they are discussing making an ice crusher and post#7 somone posted some photos of a vintage one, with flat belt drive: Looks like it wont link to the thread but here is the title of it: Ice Crusher,, Best Design (title has 2 comma's in it)
SmokStak

Here are the photos from that post.
t=37755ice breaker0001.jpgice breaker0002.jpg

Franz is using the much loved sorting and storage methodology commonly known as
the "Chronological Sedimentary Filing system"....:skep:

As the material comes into the storage area, it is carefully applied in "layers".....:D

Like allot of us use.....

Actually mine is the ENHANCED CSFS with CLC.
The first 5 feet up from the floor are Yawman & Erbe steel IBM cardfile cabinets with enhanced scrounged up never made for that purpose shelving going up another 3 feet, top shelf super modified for long objects sticking into the soffet. All hockey sticks and field hockey sticks are in rafter space. I still don't believe what those sticks cost new, or that they were thrown out, but they make damn fine handles as long as they don't get left in the Sun.

Fortunately, for Joe, that ice device was relocated within the past 11 months, and I still remembered exactly where it was sitting, inverted with a 12 volt air compressor on top of it.

Where else would it have been?

Anyplace within 6,912 cubic feet contained within that building the Ex envisioned as "Her garage".
Previous location was in an IBM card file drawer, but I came into some smaller items that fit the drawer so the ice cutter went on a shelf. It sure wasn't going to remelt.

Took me two full years to teach that woman the word is spelled "JUNQUE" and JUNQUE is defined as parts in waiting to become something I haven't built yet, possibly something I haven't even thought of building yet. She wasn't impressed by the definition until I built her a garden cart she was eyeballing with a $350 price tag. She used it for a whole week and decided it wasn't as convenient as she thought it was going to be.

I tell ya, women ain't from the Planet Earth. They come from another Planet named Oblivion.
They can be entertaining though.

That's not a dump. Its an archive.
Whats the difference? An archive is a dump without the seagulls.

Erich -

I take exception. In my shop/storage area I have a sign printed up by my Dad back in the mid 50s when - among other things - we ran the town dump. I am guessing that I am the only archivist here who actually has dump rules (although somewhat dated) posted at the scene of the crimes...... And no seagulls or rats. I like to have a well run dump.

Dale

Erich -

I take exception. In my shop/storage area I have a sign printed up by my Dad back in the mid 50s when - among other things - we ran the town dump. I am guessing that I am the only archivist here who actually has dump rules (although somewhat dated) posted at the scene of the crimes...... And no seagulls or rats. I like to have a well run dump.

Dale

Dale, you may be the only member with posted dump rules, but you aren't the only one with the experience.
Granted it was nomenclatured a Sanitary Landfill during my brief tenure that ended with me telling the owner to mail the last paycheck, but it did include a small area where Town residents could dump their leftovers and excess. It was also profitable and educational for me.
My current operation has eschewed Seagulls for Hummingbirds, Red Tail Hawks and Great Horned Owls along with coyotes who are of equal value to rats.

My current operation has eschewed Seagulls for Hummingbirds, Red Tail Hawks and Great Horned Owls along with coyotes who are of equal value to rats.

Franz -

Have to chuckle - same critters here. Just was telling my wife this afternoon's event. I was weed whacking the edge of our pond with a metal blade - don't think I hit him, but a mouse ended up taking a ride about 4 or 5 feet out into the pond, immediately started swimming for shore. Large mouth hit him real fast for an early dinner of opportunity. Wife is convinced we have fewer swallows skimming the pond to feed on insects due to the threat of the bass. My one brother in law saw a swallow hit the surface on one of those flights and a bass nailed the bird. Coyotes of the water.

Our operation was before the days of landfills (thankfully) and very benign. At the time seemed to be a good use for an old gravel pit. But was always a pain in the neck - for everything except target practice. But that was the late 50s early 60s. My wife thinks I have a problem hanging on to stuff, so when I found a few of the old signs it seemed appropriate for the shop.

Dale

Back