What's new
What's new

O.T. Lombard Steam Log Hauler Sleds

Terry Harper

Cast Iron
Its always good when you can involve youth in a project. For quite awhile we have wanted a set of sleds to go along with our 19 ton steam Lombard Log Hauler at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum.

Mind you, back in the day, horse drawn "two sled" rigs were the common method of moving heavy loads of logs from the cuttings to the landings up here in the northeast during the winter months.

When Lombard developed his log hauler in 1900 he quickly realized that the relatively light sleds then in use where not suitable for the heavy work a steam Lombard could perform so he developed and patented his own design and for decades offered "kits" of sled irons to woods operators.

Note in the drawing below the crossed reach poles. These allowed a long train of sleds to be fully articulated yet allowed each sled to "steer" the sleds following along in the same track. Since the runners had a tendency to freeze in they usually tried to start the load at a slight angle to break them free. Also, and I hadn't thought about this before until I studied the drawings, the pins for the draw bar and reach poles ran in slotted holes. This allowed slack to be taken so the load could be started gradually rather than all at once.

For peak efficiency each Lombard required three sets of sleds - one set being loaded, another set being unloaded and a third set moving over the road. How many sleds per train (typically 8-10) depended upon the hauling conditions. Lombard offered smaller, lighter sleds for gas Lombard log haulers.

One operation had 944 sleds - or enough to make 472 complete "two-sled" rigs. Each sled costing $192.70 All these sleds were to support a fleet of 15 gasoline powered Lombards.

Back a number of years ago the Breton's donated a set of Lombard sled irons. They sat pretty much forgotten until we "found" them again this spring. Last week the iron was loaded into a van along with a pile of heavy oak timber (cut by the museum's "Tuesday Crew") for the 3 hour drive north to the Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center.

Over the next few months our students in the Building Trades and Farm Mechanic's programs will work to disassemble and clean-up the jumble of iron and remove dozen's of long seized bolts and nuts. Then start rebuilding the whole thing into a complete sled assembly.

Our students love what we call "Live work projects" These are projects that allow our High School age students to learn skills by working on real projects and interface with industry and the community. Usually the client will provide materials or make a donation to cover the costs.

All good fun!

Best regards

Terry

Attachments

• DSC_9008.jpg
    DSC_9008.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC_9526.jpg
    DSC_9526.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 671
  • Sled Plans.jpg
    Sled Plans.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 652
So progress on the sleds is going well. Thankfully Herb found quite a few
of the missing fittings while scrounging around the museum. In addition
a local firm (Haine's Manufacturing) THANK YOU FRED!! has offered to fabricate
the remaining wayward fittings which is absolutely awesome!

Anyway, The Farm Mechanics and Building Trades students have almost
finished one sled and have started the second. Its amazing how heavy these
things are. One sled weighs about 750 lbs and there are two sleds per each
"two-sled rig". The scary part is these are the small Lombard patent sleds.
They offered a much larger design for use with the steamers.

h1c8S4YmLRoFQorrCDT5qi9T3DEiRTaVUUOQbN57QZJalap1m4ZaLOgrTClZbmZbqeVkjEqnIkRS48eFT7wP_Cr_Wfkl0GlMqJVejZVwpVo1EAEi86drhYY4vAB_i_6M_DBXHR4HS_TIf-F8wF-wVMoNUTSSWECV-BEUlUpKsaCPVfNL6Pb5ZpNQnMprAXTfOLhA1PIWTLTa-lxUOWcxDxZwkMf8DUbm8IGUkaC2TZ9qixyw5hr3b33J4_3aYTJb9qDgzlb-eBkpXx5beWPTZACmzjP8efJkiZRgeGVIk0R_piEzO1AHQRh6UxucgVhUHskCno27jI67GxQwUyK_pwBCDu7Wu0c_1cOpIGY1fpkPY9wqYdhCEK3IuMBx_5Hc1WjCP-bhjc0ZwIeKdogvD8t-obhYSNQNPRg7ypz4iEzYPqlBPsrgHJ_aNLNyZ0EXaNORKiII6loGu_T1pC_-Hx_WQaU5Hv0WkWdC6pA8IRUJxWTeZw9R2Zk76dNsSqHrkWvryqTGO3j16UJgRS4REJ4xDWNSsAehIvE0lEEdX_gTO1Rya0EaJfoKHYZwACg_iL-5XqzVCi4AILqfTmk_4OFIOFQwpwF4kXyALeyJuT8KAB_2wFIifpsApyWus_NtibCrnUA1oGZw2L_qn14WJNEx=w799-h1064-no

A1Z9AfB9u4VcmFrco-0a1Mxv7kRb_JQh7eJiz_IiBY7k0yEHnX0z6XWyZISG2pMbdZKVlFFF2wvOTUY7u8fpQeh002D56KhATdjyWVF7ITWn-KbngkwsCIfIQR8lomXaeRjCqpWzNwX36mAbh6gN30Jkfu4uebydRE5kcQ32i1-ndHi4X_DqVuItUGuBSD4K6DYPlmFSuBee-Jeua3oGHmLwdtbkBK1uukmywd0URSdQJuF7fPTVi9uOCqi9-KNzZ6pdZqIXAJc0Vu9eYmsRAPSkeBiSY9bDReKqDftXmQW_JNkqv7ejzLqNzud-nI-DBE2SpmfZ_CAidnnYELL2P7JkFtpZ2_DtjpNl_FQiJEVhuCYRwBZ1ydm_qaTxtxn3K-m3o3Y1v05Ni31w-0qyrPBd1TBBL-YJlPbKpuTEW4OCQCBvkizTel4GxBCEVGrHdhT6WvDUIAwhZGUzTtZWulq4A5Dks1pmMgb_X0XwIZlxZw71vIrAToSwWaMkNnQzXRmwC2TxuRnCmw3Ep41CxM4ZkRU_SVmQvfPYu2cnMR3a9BpM8EMWuZgh5OhbHP7LwL7l7FkDQfRBTMcjaNoLtqg00zZqpRU29FnOU0Ez0W5hhVQXNJKB9pMkiXu6k66fQLZNgc7-KOQU2s3PDCqzsJX4=w1590-h1064-no

yNzoraEGVadwUhQG2gWlG5jx7m-tI9J46tAT0IbOAeFWLkc6UJu6U7D6nxCIeBoOONr62DZoimnlXNYe-vr0H21nn9TKZoQJzkamD2lgc3DoolOV7MOKA66rxKt4fg1WbbN8Mk4EI1nTr_Hszfk197XxzlM75U7-PwTKYAH7_ZtXhuZRhTctTfH4qiHq3qTcKNphTX5BjKu4S4Yatjgxetfz5gkn9AZMjsOZlywJR6UJWEHDeZuwW6H3G-73xM-3MLK4evbjV33EQo5-6lgY2hd9AbtfgcjYiKtc4TK4Usfo4MPqgS08s0OrtS3ve52ooiyP8sz9bnozgl6tsqSiRTeBbQs3-XbwW7vRLfxAe85hGlanPDxydQ5_Q_g0rsSmcp6_yHnzrnaWVMjunRnldtGPuWz-tfaLPAEPyKIdgV4z5_6YXCxMxJm-T5P8VZkF6xgYaKSnep1aRBz9y6VPtpsgvfzHtzbFk1WBfMCutno4QJ8X3qY1etLjI_7wtaCsv2CL5-a0SHANWKXk7Ew0vMUjHU2U_gm5MO_Ht0CUEJ8yZHYMJ97-hRIct3HmBUoW_09Mj10LOVitC4yEtzDk-VxHdZa2ucpUbyF15K2oTTXsD1zGjHeDCA1toDCWAYfLXN7EeBmD-TJ6ziziVpY6EDn1=w1588-h872-no

All fun stuff!

Best regards,
Terry

Almost done! Yesterday I picked-up the new reach pole and draw bar irons.
Haine's Manufacturing here in Presque Isle graciously and generously donated
their remarkable skills and talents to fabricate the missing pieces which
included three reach pole irons and the drawbar A-frame iron and complete
set of roller irons.

Haines Manufacturing specializes in manufacturing potato handling
equipment and just about anything else that needs to be fabricated.

Meanwhile the students completed the second sled or "Bob". Once the reach poles
and drawbar are complete it will be ready to ship to the museum!

IMG_1580-a.jpg

IMG_1583 a.jpg

big rendering.jpg

Great thread and very interesting. Well done photos and illustrations in this thread.

Many museums will not allow any participation until the age of at least 18. Trying to educate children starting at 18 doesn't work that well. But involving the voc trades classes if there are any in your area is a great starting place to "pass the torch". People are always amazed that kids, especially a lot of boys like hands on projects like this. Many never get exposed to projects that involve using there hands and basic tools. I have found that most will really respond positively to the whole process. Unfortunately I feel you need to start them at a young age before sex, drugs and rock and roll takes its toll. In RR preservation it is an ongoing battle to bring new blood into a museum full of aging baby boomers. Maybe an organized class trip to your museum would also generate a couple of new guys that "drink the rusty kool-aid"? Thanks, John.

Well Said John!

For preservation museums and organizations of any kind it has indeed become
very difficult to recruit young people to pass the torch too.

In regards to high school students the CTE (what use to be Vocational) courses
are an amazing resource. All CTE programs here in the state of Maine have a
"live work" policy. The policy encourages opportunities for students to gain
skills and hands-on experience working on real projects. Whether they are through
the school, local businesses and industry or community.

Typically the "client" provides or covers the cost of the materials. In this
case the museum provided the castings, lumber and technical guidance. A local
heavy industry helped by allowing the purchase of the fasteners through their
account which cut cost significantly while another firm donated time, material
and remarkable skill to fabricate the missing fittings. Add to that individual
donations and we have a true community project.

Yes, indeed! Later this winter we will invite the students down for our winter run
(snow willing!)

I would also like to mention that the museum has close ties with the engineering
programs at the University of Maine. The restoration of the museums steam
Lombard was in fact a capstone project for the colleges Mechanical Engineering students.
A number of whom are regular volunteers at the museum.

Throughout the year the students from the schools, Forestry, Civil Engineering, Mechanical engineering
and Survey programs work on various projects. The latest of which was the construction of
ADA compliant restrooms as well as a new roof on the Hovel.

All good stuff!

Best regards,

Terry

Terry ,
Thanks for sharing the progress on the sleighs.
I think its great that you can involve the student’s in this type of project.
It has often been mentioned about young people not being in history or old technology but I think when the older generations can find the right ways to inspire them it is surprising what can happen .
While there is no machine shop at Upper Canada Village they have summer programs for young people .
There may be other similar programs worthy of out support that other’s could suggest .
Here are some updated links to the program
Summer Camps - St. Lawrence Parks Commission
Time Travellers - St. Lawrence Parks Commission
I had posted about it in this older thread
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ge-time-travelers-249503/?highlight=Travelers
I know some young people who have participated in these programs for several years .

I had remembered seeing pictures of sleighs behind logging tractors on several sites I had visited so i looked some of them up and posted some links here .

https://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadian Rail_no462_1998.pdf#page=20

Canadian forest industries 191-192

I had noticed that this was the 10th in a series of advertisements for Linn tractors
https://archive.org/stream/canadianforjuldec1923donm#page/n338/mode/1up/search/Sleigh
so I looked up the 1922 volume to try and find the others .
1922 there are several hits for Linn with photos showing their logging tractors with trains sleighs b in this volume but the search link doesn’t seem to want to show up so using the search at the page should bring you to the other pictures.
https://archive.org/details/canadianforjanjun1922donm/page/n812

I copied the links to some of the pages.
Hauling Logs From Rollway to River Landing , I think the operation in this article was featured in one of the Advertisements
https://archive.org/details/canadianforjanjun1922donm/page/n602

I have a copy of this book since my father and grandfather worked at the Hawkesbury mill when this was given out .
This page shows
them hauling logs on sleighs behind a diesel tractor in the 40 s .
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951000327791o;view=1up;seq=55

Here are a few Lombard links i found in the 1910 volume.
Canadian forest industries 191-192

https://archive.org/stream/canadianforest1910donm#page/n460/mode/1up/search/Lombard

https://archive.org/stream/canadianforest1910donm#page/n643/mode/1up/search/Lombard

https://archive.org/stream/canadianforest1910donm#page/n888/mode/1up/search/Lombard

https://archive.org/stream/canadianforest1910donm#page/n1226/mode/1up/search/Lombard

Regards,
Jim

Almost Done!

Just a few bolts to tighten-up and hopefully (weather permitting)
the complete set of sleds will be on their way to the museum
on Saturday. This past week our students finished the reach poles
and the draw bar. In the photos below we do not have the reach poles
connected due to limits on space. (Its a big sled!)

The students have done a most excellent job and have really taken
pride in their work. Hopefully at some point they will be able to
visit the museum and see the sleds in action.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

This spring, when we can get the mill going, we will add the bunks which will be
8"x10" x 10'-0"Oak as well as have Byron hammer out at few pins etc. in the
museum's blacksmith shop.

Last weekend Herb and I fired-up the
10 ton gasoline Lombard to make sure its ready to roll when the
sleds arrive. I believe our next project will be a set of sleds to swap out
for the front wheels. That will require some fancy pattern fabrication
and some heavy steel casting. We have a set for the steamer and
will hopefully have the old girl out strutting her stuff in February.

Christmas Gas Lombard Log Hauler Test - YouTube

DSC_0738.jpg

To illustrate how far this project has come here is a reminder of
what they started with.

DSC_9008.jpg

Again, thank you to everyone who encouraged and supported this project!
Once I have photos of the delivery I will post those as well.

Best regards,

Terry

Done!

Could it possibly ever get better than this?

Thank you to the Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center
and a wonderful group of highly motivated and talented students!

sleigh.jpg

Best regards,
Terry

To close the sled thread - todays adventure was a trip to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum in Bradley to unload (and test) the circa 1926 Lombard logging sleds built by farm mechanics and building trades students at the Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center.

During the week we had a major blizzard followed two days ago by heavy rain and than freezing. Needless to say the parking lot was, for lack of a better description, a nice ice skating rink which made un-loading interesting to say the least. In the end Herb and I got it done but it wasn't graceful nor possibly OSHA approved.

We managed to get the 10 ton Lombard started but it wasn't happy. It was running more than a little rough and we joked quite a bit about possibly having to make a call to AAA for roadside assistance for the 23,000 lb beast. (and really worrying about how on earth we would get it back in the shed if it died!) Hopefully a sympathetic tune-up will work wonders.

Nevertheless we managed to make a loop around the parking lot with the sleds in tow and found out that trying to back-up with them wasn't going to happen so we had to get a bit creative there as well.

Once Byron - the Museum's blacksmith, finishes working his magic (fabricating the remainder of the missing pins) we can install the log bunks and try them out with a load of logs later on - hopefully behind the steam Lombard.

Herb and I realized today that this little trip around the parking lot was probably the first time a gasoline powered
Lombard Log hauler has hauled a sled since the 1940's. For this machine in particular it would have been nearly 80 years.

First Test of Restored C 1926 Lombard Logging Sled - YouTube

DSC_1097.jpg

DSC_1104.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg

Back