What's new
What's new

Odd items found in 100 year old machine shop. (e.g. caltrop)

There was a machine shop in Stoughton, MA that closed in 2005. They had 2 large planers. Adjacent to one planer (either a Gray, or Cincinnati IIRC), were these items:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oSeS8zjbk9si_i672sUvjdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The material is cast iron, and they appear to be old.
The sprue from the casting is evident on some of the 6 pointed 'stars'.
Four of the points are quite sharp (just from the casting they are sharp), the other 2 are less so.
All are the same size, point to point: 2 inches long. When laid flat, about 1 1/4 inch tall.

They had old style planer jacks in the same area , so I figure they are either precision planer work holding tools (or caltrops). Can't figure why caltrops would be there (they were in operation for over 100 yrs), so it must be planer related?

What odd items have you found in old machine shops?

I don't think they are caltrops... but I don't have any idea what they are. I have seen them before and I think we have some in our office, sent to us by someone who thought that is what they were. There is a theory bandied about that they are caltrops and that they were mass produced during the Civil War... the main problem being that, I far as we know, none have been found in a CW context.

They look like the things placed in cored castings to break up the core. Part rotated or shaken, sand broken loose..

Would make sense to be near planer, as they sometimes stuck in the raw casting. Planing usually being one of the first operations.

Mike: perhaps the owner had nightmares of the charge of the light brigade, & was worried, late at night....

99panhard, and abarnsley: maybe deburring media? I am not an expert on older deburring/core cleaning processes (e.g. used in 1940s, or earlier) to clean the holes in the sand castings, however there is black gunk on the exterior of the cast iron (could be machine shop gunk, or residue from used sand - don't know). The cast iron points -are- sharp and pointed x 4 sides (except 2 sides which are dull pointed). I need to look at these things under magnification.

Don't know what they are , but definitely NOT caltrops .
Caltrops were always designed with 4 prongs , so that they would always land with one prong facing straight up . Those don't .

OTOH , they still could have a military use .
I suppose you could pack them in a canister-shot load . Ouch !

Tom

I cannot remember what those things that are used to support a casting core are called. We used them when we made the castings for the 18th.C. fire engine,for which I made the casting patterns and the cores. I tend to support the the theory that this is what they are. When the metal was poured,they became part of the casting.

Equally,though,they could have been large tumbling media.

Could these be finials for a "wrought iron" (cast) fence? did the shop do any decorative
ironwork?

i had to comment here- i think fen2art may have nailed it- i was looking at that pic and just knew i had seen those before- the little river town where i grew up(Moscow,OH) still had almost all of the original wrought iron fencing when i was a kid. each lot had the same basic fencing but with all kinds of different finials-i distictly remember 1 lot in particular and it had finials exactly like pictured. can`t tell you how many times kids got their jeans caught on those things while jumping over- made for a great face-plant.:fight:

thanks for the memory fen2art!(edit- even if that`s not what they are)

Last edited:
There was a machine shop in Stoughton, MA that closed in 2005. They had 2 large planers. Adjacent to one planer (either a Gray, or Cincinnati IIRC), were these items:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oSeS8zjbk9si_i672sUvjdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The material is cast iron, and they appear to be old.
The sprue from the casting is evident on some of the 6 pointed 'stars'.
Four of the points are quite sharp (just from the casting they are sharp), the other 2 are less so.
All are the same size, point to point: 2 inches long. When laid flat, about 1 1/4 inch tall.

They had old style planer jacks in the same area , so I figure they are either precision planer work holding tools (or caltrops). Can't figure why caltrops would be there (they were in operation for over 100 yrs), so it must be planer related?

What odd items have you found in old machine shops?

Is that the beautiful old shop that I believe sat infront of the large bridge for the Northeast Corridor? It has been a while since I was there. It was quite the neat shop if I recall correctly. Just wondering do you have any pictures of what it looked like inside? I vaguely recall it if it is the one I am thinking of. I got the quick tour driving by.

They are cast iron "tumbling stars", used to clean and de-burr castings.

They come in various sizes, and are added to a load of casting, when they are "churned" in a "tumbling barrel" type finishing system, commonly found in Gray and Malleable Iron foundries, ... or in a "vibratory bowl" finishing system.

Back