Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Odd threaded spindlenose?

Well i got this old lathe a few months ago but i just got it home. I have not been able to determine what make or model it is. I need a chuck backplate for this machine but people in a swedish forum have not replied so i am putting it here to.

Unfortunatley my new mitutoyu caliper won`t show inches so these measurements is all metric.

This is how my spindlenose looks.

https://i.imgur.com/HE0GCyN.jpg

There seems to be a slight taper to the thread since it differs 0,7mm from front to back (or just worn threads). The pitch is about 4mm.

This is a few pics of the machine from my other thread.

Old lathe - Album on Imgur

Post Thanks / Like

Measure it up, make or have made a "duplicate" so you have a plug gauge to use when making (or having made) a back plate

Odd threaded spindlenose?
    Describes MANY old lathes

About the only STANDARD threaded nose lathe makers used was their own idea

The taper could be wear or intentional - or some of both

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noted that the Swedish language thread chart on the lathe seems to indicate that the lead screw has an inch pitch and you need a 127 tooth gear to cut metric pitch threads. That will require special effort to learn the procedures for threading.

An inch lead screw on a lathe in Sweden does not prove that the lathe was made in England or other inch-using countries. My 1969 Volvo 164 had normal USA standard nuts and bolts except on the German-made brake and steering components, which used metric fasteners. It took two sets of tools to work on that car.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

ON EDIT OOOPPPPS - not paying close enough attention to posted dimensions. Please disregard comments below - thanks Larry!

And with that in mind, perhaps the spindle nose is a well worn 1 1/2 - 6 Imperial

Probably possible (even in Sweden) to acquire a standard 1 1/2 - 6 hex nut to see if it fit at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would suggest measuring the threads with the three wires method to see if it is indeed worn, or is tapered.

Paolo

6. Likes James H Clark liked this post