What's new
What's new

Oerlikon Radial Drill

GregSY

Diamond
Not sure if this antique or not...

Friend has this up for grabs...he hasn't told me a price but that because I suspect he will try to tell me he'll get back with me on it, and never get back with me on it.

So my question is...anyone familiar with these? I haven't heard that name 'Oerlikon' before. Are they worth having, or a waste of floor space, etc.? It's in working condition, though it hasn't been used in several years.

RMF Drill Press.jpg

At least a few threads on here about them, I've never had one, but would take it home if the price was right! If you've got a guy named Bubba to hump it around they are supposedly quite handy for mobile machine work (just the post and work head, bolt it down where you need it).

Swiss I believe. Did not look it up. Should definitely be high quality and worth having. It’s been raised obviously with those pieces of 4” I beam. I’d lose those. If you must have the headroom get a block ground top and bottom for parallel. Probably all metric if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, it's been raised and I would probably replace that with a more sturdy block. I looked online and it is Swiss. It looks like there was a raise block on many, so the one shown might be a replacement of one that was there originally, not just a pure mod. I'm going to re-verify the motor works....that think looks like I'd never find another if it's damaged.

I really like the base...it has drawers on front but a very nice vertical table on the side, and of course the horizontal table on top. Very handy for setting up.

On further study, I see the column is actually attached by the T slots, so it can be easily moved to any position on the table. also a nice feature.

Attachments

• oerlikon ub2.jpg
    oerlikon ub2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 238
Stout

In some recent post, someone was looking for a good x-y table. One response was that there has never been a good x-y table manufactured. I think the one in the link website proves that statement incorrect.

Looks like a stout and capable drill, I hope you can find the x-y table that goes with it.

I agree with others, loose the riser.

CarlBoyd

In some recent post, someone was looking for a good x-y table. One response was that there has never been a good x-y table manufactured. I think the one in the link website proves that statement incorrect.

CarlBoyd

I had a UB-2 with that table. It was rugged, but the scales and dials were not accurate.

Got to admit, I’d be reluctant to buy an Oerlikon. Happy with my (smallish) radial drill and wouldn’t want to be constantly fighting to stay in tram for 90% or more of the work. The integral motor is also a turn off. Maybe ok if you had lots of work that couldn’t be done on a regular radial drill?

L7

If you can pronounce it...buy it....:D

Nothing magical about it. It's just a suburb of Zuerich.. Near the airport. At Kloten.

The COMPANY has historically been the world's premier maker of anti-aircraft cannon, many of them license-built during major wars by the combatants.

All sides!

The Oerlikon Cannon: The legendary 20mm Kamikaze killer :: Guns.com

Also some seriously good machine-tools. Lathes and mills as well as DP's.
Including JV's with Northern-Italian firms (Oerlikon-Italia, "right here, on PM")

And the reverse .. building rather COMPLEX French milling machines FOR the French (Huron, see Tony's website).

Competent folk, Oerlikon Contraves.

Very!

Been known to do the damndest things just to move-house, too.

That UB2?

Make like a Dog pouncing on a bone-in STEAK!

Grab it and GROWL!!!

And then you'll have the Svitzerditch pronunciation just about right for "Oerl...."

And a right useful drillpress, as well!

"wouldn’t want to be constantly fighting to stay in tram for 90% or more of the work"

What does that mean?

Nothing magical about it. It's just a suburb of Zuerich.. Near the airport. At Kloten.

And then you'll have the Svitzerditch pronunciation just about right for "Oerl...."

It’s not. Örlikon, as the correct writing is, was a village next to Zürich until 1934 when it got incorporated. Near the Kloten airport, if you want, the distance is 6,5 km or 4 miles. Went to work there once.

Schwyzerdütsch. I know that sch-w does not exist in the English language, yes, perhaps with the french joie still used in Mississippi or Louisiana. Just say sh-w, then a long ee, shweetzer-. The ü is also a problem with Anglosaxon, I think, one gets closest to it by lifting a oo to a girly sound as with boobs. Örlikon or Oerlikon finally, it’s only about the ö which is another oo into a different direction. Say something like the vowel of burn, more forward in the mouth, narrower.

What concerns the Örlikon machine tools, I like them. Have worked with the bigger lathes of them. The radial drills are well known in this country and praised.

Back