What's new
What's new

Ohio shaper questions

Aaron B

Aluminum
A couple quick questions for the resident experts.

Any educated guesses on the size and model of this Ohio shaper? The only catalog I've found appears to predate this one.

Is possible to strip enough off to weasel it through a 34" door?

f7b1eb450f2f28e9132518dadba55639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple quick questions for the resident experts.

Any educated guesses on the size and model of this Ohio shaper? The only catalog I've found appears to predate this one.

Is possible to strip enough off to weasel it through a 34" door?

f7b1eb450f2f28e9132518dadba55639.jpg

No idea on the model but if in decent condition that's a NICE one. MIGHT be hydraulic and that MIGHT spell trouble(s). With some disassembly it'll pass through 34" and easily so.

Another photo shows that it has a four speed transmission with back gear, so probably not hydraulic. There's also a Twin-Disk clutch tag.

Okay, I'm a dummy, it's plain as day when you look at the chart. It's a 20" machine.

Really looks like you'd need to pull the table, cross rail, feed mechanism and etc to get the thing down to 34". That could be fun. Need a sky hook!

Probably not worth the trouble?

Okay, I'm a dummy, it's plain as day when you look at the chart. It's a 20" machine.

Really looks like you'd need to pull the table, cross rail, feed mechanism and etc to get the thing down to 34". That could be fun. Need a sky hook!

Probably not worth the trouble?

If cheap enough and in good condition that one will shave HUGE amounts of metal quickly and with tooling costing close to nothing. I use a smaller one pretty often instead of hammering a mill spindle and a face mill. They will also become serious collectibles in a decade or two.

Definable worth the trouble. Shaper prices seem to be going up!

L7

Many years ago, around '96 or so I was visiting a tool shop in Pretoria, RSA when an elderly gent stepped inside while carrying in his arms a very small shaper which was brand new, never used, in the original packaging and with the original shipping /customs papers. I remember the machine being painted blue. I think it was a Delta and was bought by his father many years before and never used for some accidental reason. He wanted around $600 for it, which wasn't really any money for me that time. Of course, I didn't buy and am still sorry.

What kind of money do Ohio's bring these days. My recollection is of the days when you couldn't give a shaper away, but it seems the tide has turned.

Keep in mind if it went in it will come out, a good heavy dolly will do the job...Phil

I'm thinking it's been trapped by a remodel. Reminds me of acquaintances that remodeled their staircase, then had to leave the dresser behind when they moved [emoji23]

Your PM mentioned rapid traverse - you work this ( on my 36" ) by pulling (maybe pushing?) on the knob ended steel rod immediately below the cross feed crank - while punching the fwd or rev button on the PB station to the right of the rod. That rapid motor is 440 only on my Ohio:D

Well, it's all been educational, but I came up short in the bidding. Went for just shy of $900, which is too rich for me. There are other machines I'm seeking that would be far more useful too.

Very crisp machine and I may regret it later. But for now I'm not tasked with getting the thing apart, then through several doors and turns. I'm sure my wife will be greatly relieved as well.

Thanks for bothering to take great photos. I would imagine this is another Army contract that specified EVERY piece had to be made in Ohio circa 1948 - 1951.

The 1H 125 serial says 1948

Back