What's new
What's new

old 14" Springfield lathe

jwdrury

Plastic
Hello everyone, I am new on the forum and new to machinist work. I've been wanting a lathe for a little while now. A few months ago I found a little 3n1 harbor freight mill-drill-lathe for a good deal and after cleaning it up and working with it only a little bit, I came across this machine. It was on Facebook marketplace. No mention of a lathe, no details, only one blurry picture. I was able to tell it was a rather large and old lathe. So after talking to the man briefly, I went to look at it. It was plugged in and able to be run, on a rigged up 110 motor up top. The man said his 84 year old father was still using the lathe a month prior, before going into the hospital. The 3 phase motor is still in it, but their phase converter had conked out sometime in the '80s. I ran it a bit, and checked the machine out the best my limited knowledge would allow before deciding to buy it. It came with a 4 jaw chuck, faceplate, tons of drill bits, reamers, mill bits, drill chucks, steady rest (one factory made, one homemade), about a dozen different tool holders and some other miscellaneous stuff.

rps20180530_171230.jpg
rps20180530_175814.jpg

So far I've gotten it quite a bit cleaner, and in my shop. I hope to be able to start working with it soon, but need to do some work to it first, which has led me here, with a few questions.

rps20180530_171749.jpg
rps20180530_171338.jpg

What type and how much oil should I put in the headstock? I've read perhaps I should use iso 32 or iso 68. I've looked around and either is available locally. I'm thinking I should fill it to about where the top and bottom of the headstock come apart? But I'm not sure. I have other questions, but will leave it with the oil questions for now.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

I like your lathe and hope you keep more pictures of your project coming. I am or was in a similar situation with my P&W. It originally had a sight glass for checking your level. Mine was gone and the piping was plugged off at the bottom so I had no idea on where the level should be. I know nothing about your lathe but most would of had a dip stick, sight glass for checking your fill level. Or like a lot of old machinery it might of just had a plug at the top/bottom of your fill level height. Again I could be wrong but originally most machines had a way to check level and I am sure there is a way to check. It took a number of searches and some help to find my oil fill check system. Was harder for me as mine was missing altogether but at least now I know where it went and can order a new sight glass for not to much money. Or I can just put in a pc of pipe that drains when full to correct level. I like brass oilers and sight glasses so I know what I will want to do. Good luck but I do suggest get down and dirty and look for some sort of way to physically check your level. Mine was on back side lower and you needed to look carefully or you might miss it in the shadows. Thanks for sharing your lathe and goodies. Regards, John.

Check your PMs John

I like your lathe and hope you keep more pictures of your project coming. I am or was in a similar situation with my P&W. It originally had a sight glass for checking your level. Mine was gone and the piping was plugged off at the bottom so I had no idea on where the level should be. I know nothing about your lathe but most would of had a dip stick, sight glass for checking your fill level. Or like a lot of old machinery it might of just had a plug at the top/bottom of your fill level height. Again I could be wrong but originally most machines had a way to check level and I am sure there is a way to check. It took a number of searches and some help to find my oil fill check system. Was harder for me as mine was missing altogether but at least now I know where it went and can order a new sight glass for not to much money. Or I can just put in a pc of pipe that drains when full to correct level. I like brass oilers and sight glasses so I know what I will want to do. Good luck but I do suggest get down and dirty and look for some sort of way to physically check your level. Mine was on back side lower and you needed to look carefully or you might miss it in the shadows. Thanks for sharing your lathe and goodies. Regards, John.

There are two glass oil sights present. One at each end of the spindle. Are these for oiling the spindle? I am not seeing any other type of dipstick or glass sight on the headstock.

Thank you for the responses. And thank you for bearing with me as a beginner.

Also, I just glanced at the PDF file above and it looks to have some much needed information. :)

-Jonathan

rps20180531_164746.jpg
rps20180531_164809.jpg

Thumbnail shows what I was wondering about. Looks like the usual circular metal ring retaining a transparent (or used to be transparent) "window" that communicates with oil bath to indicate its level

There are two glass oil sights present. One at each end of the spindle. Are these for oiling the spindle? I am not seeing any other type of dipstick or glass sight on the headstock.

Attachments

• Springfield Oil Sight.jpg
    Springfield Oil Sight.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 102
I need to figure out how to post larger pictures. That hole you are seeing is where one of the handles, the one for “out and in" locks into place.

I am thinking the two ports on the top of the headstock are for filling and viewing the level of oil. It looks like there is some type of coating on the inside of the bottom half of the headstock case.

I have the same lathe, only the 16" version. I put 6 gallons of Casterol AW 68 anti-wear hydraulic oil in the head stock and use Vacuoline 1409 in the way oiler. It's 5hp 220v 3 phase motor is driven by a $150 Chinese VFD, and it works great.

Back