What's new
What's new

Old 4 jaw chuck

Froneck

Titanium
I have been searching my shop for items I put in a "good" place but it's so good I can't find them. However I am finding things I was looking for in my previous searches. I like having all sizes and types of chucks. A few chucks I purchased just because the price was right have saved my butt when I needed a method to hold a few jobs. What I did find as the results of searching for a different chuck was one of my many Chuck purchases at HGR is an old style 4 jaw chuck about 12", It as no back plate but is made to accept a threaded spindle. The threaded portion extends about 3" out the back of the chuck and is part of the chuck. Threads are quite large may be almost 3". Chuck looks good, not beat and the jaws are in good shape too! It don't look like it's seen much use! Adjustment screw drive is male square (not female)and protrude slightly out beyond the OD of the chuck! I guess I should be putting it in the sale thread but thought I could find more interest for it here! I don't remember what I paid for it but it wan't much, I'm more interested in finding it a good home. I have no threaded spindle lathes.
Let me know if there is any interest, if so I'll make a few photos and check approximate weight. Might be able to ship it USPS Flat Rate.

I added these photos. Chuck weight is about 55 pounds, Chuck is 12" in diameter. Threads seem to be V. Thread ID is about 2-11/16" Thread freebore 2.954" X 1-1/4 deep. Total length of threads including freebore is 2-1/2" Threads seem to be 5TPI. Length of threaded projection is 1-1/2" That includes the 1/2" tabs as seen in the photos. Width of chuck body 2-15/16" I didn't see any brand name on the chuck. No dings gouges or any damage noticed. Adjustment square drive are in great shape no corner rounding visible.
CIMG1857.jpgCIMG1858.jpgCIMG1859.jpgCIMG1856.jpg
I also found the other chuck I was looking for!

What is the OD of the projection out the back? if the freeborn is 2-1/2" the OD might be 3-1/4" ?
Can you put a thread gauge on the threads?

I'd like it if the freeborn was 2.87" and the threads were 2-7/8 - 5. But that doesn't sound likely from your post.

Thanks.
DV

I measured the free bore with a Starrett 123 Vernier 50 line Caliper. It's quite accurate, well within .005". I tried to get the surface as clean as possible but it is a little dirty. The caliper inside jaws are only 3/8" long maybe less and if I recall there is a radius at start of the freebore so there is a possibility if measured farther in it could be 2-7/8" Not easy to measure the ID of the threads, found a piece of round bar that was slightly larger than 2-5/8", slipped in easy. Found another ground bar 2.750" would not start in. I then use a spring inside caliper, used the 123 to adjust size placed in on the top of one thread and tried to feel the other, best I got was 2-11/16" peak to peak and with the threads .200 apart it will actually be less. it somewhere between that and 2.630. To get the TPI I put a Starrett machinist scale on the peak of a thread and counted to the full inch mark since the inch mark did align with a peak of a thread and counted 5 threads. Didn't include the peak of the thread at the start (Start was on a peak so count went space, one peak, space second peak,... space fifth peak at 1" mark) it is 5TPI, I doubt it's 5mm.
I did measure the hub diameter, I guess I didn't put it on my list of data. I'm guessing I measured near 4" but not sure.
I can put a wire wheel in a die grinder, clean the ID and measure the freebore with a telescope gauge. Check the Hub diameter again. With a less than 2-11/16 thread ID and 5TPI that's close to 2-7/8" X 5TPI Though 2-15/16 X 5TPI is a possibility. Have thread gauge but being 1-1/4" inside the bore and the gauge being about 1/2" long I doubt if it will be any better. Anything else I need to check?

I took a wire wheel and put in in my die grinder, cleaned out the freebore. It cleaned-up easy and is nice and clean. Took a telescope gauge and checked the size, it straight for most of the 1-1/4" except a short radius at the start. 2.9555 to 2.9560 so it's not 2-7/8". I looked at the start of the threads, looks as if the Thread OF is 2.956", on change is size is noticed as threads start! I didn't think it would solve anything but I did us a thread gauge (Starrett leaf type) 5TPI but I also tried metric and 5mm works too! It's possible it's metric 75mm X 5mm. 2-61/64" X 5TPI seems kinda odd but back then there were no standards and a lot of companies used odd size so that parts were only available from them. What ever it actually is those are the dimensions:) I measured the OD of the Hub, just past the radius of the front end it's 4.050", near the chuck body it's 4.150" Really don't need the chuck so if someone can use it let me know, can't see any reason I will ever have use for it. I'm sure it's possible to bore out the back of the chuck and make an adapter. Make an offer if interested add $21 for shipping. Highest offer gets it:D I do have another old chuck, bigger than this one. 3 Jaw "Universal" I've seen this style referred to a milling chuck. Universal in that the jaws are closed with a screw but a ring gear mates with gears on the screw so that it universal. It has been I assume modified in that it has a D1-8 back plate attached. I'll remove the back plate is someone is interested. I has no selector lever to disengage the ring gear but I removed the ring gear and used it as an independent 3 jaw until 20" 4 jaw was delivered. I do have the ring gear I removed. If interested I'll make photos!

What I don't understand is why when I look where I thought it was I can't find it then later when I do find it it's exactly in the place I looked before! One time I used a large combination wrench (open on one side box on the other)on a Monarch lathe I had. Sometime later my worker asked if I seen it because it wasn't with the others, I told him where I had it. Later I was where he was working and seen him struggling with a large adjustable wrench that didn't quite fit in the space the nut was. He said it was not on the Monarch, together we went to the Monarch and couldn't find it! I said odd I left it right there pointing to where I thought I put it. So we returned and I helped him remove the nut and reposition a large vice on the mill and get the clamping nut tight. A few hours later I walked by the Monarch and the wrench was exactly where I pointed previously! I then went to my worker and asked where he found the wrench thinking he found it and placed it where I was using it. He said no he didn't see it, together we walked to the lathe and I showed him the location yet he claimed he didn't put it there! We were the only two in the shop that day! Odd thing is that has happened to me more times than I want to admit! :crazy:

Hello Froneck,
I sent you a PM.

Thanks for all your time and detailed efforts to check out he threads !!

DV.

What I don't understand is why when I look where I thought it was I can't find it then later when I do find it it's exactly in the place I looked before! One time I used a large combination wrench (open on one side box on the other)on a Monarch lathe I had. Sometime later my worker asked if I seen it because it wasn't with the others, I told him where I had it. Later I was where he was working and seen him struggling with a large adjustable wrench that didn't quite fit in the space the nut was. He said it was not on the Monarch, together we went to the Monarch and couldn't find it! I said odd I left it right there pointing to where I thought I put it. So we returned and I helped him remove the nut and reposition a large vice on the mill and get the clamping nut tight. A few hours later I walked by the Monarch and the wrench was exactly where I pointed previously! I then went to my worker and asked where he found the wrench thinking he found it and placed it where I was using it. He said no he didn't see it, together we walked to the lathe and I showed him the location yet he claimed he didn't put it there! We were the only two in the shop that day! Odd thing is that has happened to me more times than I want to admit! :crazy:

Has anyone ever died in your shop? Sounds like you have a ghost. :eek:

Naah no ghost here! I think it's a gremlin that followed me here in PA from NJ. When I catch that little bastard I'll chuck him and spin the shit out of him! Probably not, then I'll have to clean-up the mess.

Back