What's new
What's new

Old Brown & Sharpe Serials

johnoder

Diamond
If you happen to have access to the large (6" X 9") 1913 Milling Machine catalog 10-A, it lists "current" and "old" serials in the attachment pages

John, Do you by chance have a copy of that page out of the catalog you could send me? Ken

I'll scan a page or two and send it along Ken. This is a hardbound so I'll have to see how "flat" it is willing to go on the scanner

ON EDIT

Sent to old (2012) address Ken

Last edited:
For that No. 3 universal horizontal mill I had, it must have been made after 1913. It was S/N 867, and according to the catalog, the attachments would only work on machines below S/N 650. All the years, going off the patent dates cast in the housing of the mill, seem like the last patent date was in the 1910's. From that, I always thought it was made around 1911-1912. Looks like it was more like 1914-1915. Didn't think to add 1 to 2 years the castings set outside in the sun for seasoning. Interested history! Thanks for sharing John, Ken.

Crops might be somewhat more readable - and the pair of pages not cropped

Attachments

• Oldercrop.jpg
    Oldercrop.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 63
  • As of 1913crop.jpg
    As of 1913crop.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Older.jpg
    Older.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 66
  • As of 1913.jpg
    As of 1913.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 90
Hi All,
I have a Brown and Sharpe 1A Universal horizontal milling machine. Looking at an attachment for it and need to know the factory serial number. Where should I look? The patent dates are around 1916.

The Serial number on my # 0 Horizontal is on the front column above the spindle .
Thanks to john for the info .above .
It would appear that mine Serial # 898 was made just after the pages he posted from 1913 where they show the head after serial number 895
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...d1568821592-old-brown-sharpe-serials-1913.jpg
Here are links to pictures of mine that is set up for a grinding operation .
Photobucket
Photobucket
I’ll have to try and locate my pictures on my computer that were posted on Photo bucket in a much earlier thread and repost them on this site.
Hopefully the links will work .
If I remember the older model where the column stopped below the spindle had a small cast boss just above the spindle that was machined flat with the serial number on it .
Regards,
Jim

Hi Jim and John,
Door #3 is the winner
Just rubbed that spot on the column and got the number 2900. Nice that it is higher than the 2191 as noted in the cataloge for attachments.
Thanks Reg

Back