What's new
What's new

old Carlton radial drill spindle notches

gmark1

Plastic
Im working on getting my 1930 Carlton radial drill going, and was wondering about the spindle. It has #4 morse taper, second slot for a keeper, but what were the two notches (cutouts like for keystock) at the bottom of the spindle used for? I havent found any pictures of any morse taper arbor that drove with those notches. Enlighten me on how they were used. TIA

You could buy MT to NMBT adapters to plug into your HBM taper from Scully Jones circa 1942. Possibly Carlton had something similar - but earlier in mind. NMTB were standardized on milling machines in about '27. Two face keys in the notches

Great for face mills

I was just looking at some old literature where they were boring with a radial drill, and using morse taper extensions. I bet the notch was to allow the use of a wedge to knock the arbor loose from the extension.

well, tried a 4 to 5 morse taper adapter, but no need for the notch. But did look just right for two driving keys like was previously suggested.

My Carlton has the spindle nose made like my G&L it is designed for MT tooling that had flats on each side for delivering torque much like how a mill spindle keys works. This kept from shearing the MT tang in high torque operations.

Back