What's new
What's new

Old Cincinnati horizontal mill

SteveM

Diamond
I had to give away my Brainard horizontal before I moved, so looking for something to replace it.

Looking for a small horizontal with an overarm stout enough to mount my M-head to. Need to be able to get it into the walkout basement pretty much by myself, so nothing big.

This Cincinnati is for sale locally:
CincinnatiMill.jpg

Blowing up the picture doesn't get any detail on the door. It looks like it says "No 2", but the number 2 in the 1903 and 1907 catalogs looks like a much bigger machine.

The machines smaller than the No 2 in those catalogs don't have back gear.

Table is kinda narrow with only one slot and I can't find ANY Cincinnati machines with a single-slot table.

Any ideas?

Steve

Lack of gear box for feeds says before 1900. Scan is from 1897

1897 Cinc Scan 01.jpg

The small Universals are single slot in the 1897 catalog - but I don't think your example is a Universal (with swiveling table)

These - even the little guys - are not light. Like 1350 for the No. 0

It is an early one and it is a universal.
It says Universal on the door.
It looks like it only has the two early patent dates of 1886 and 1887 on the door.

Rob

These - even the little guys - are not light. Like 1350 for the No. 0

My Brainard was 1300. After removing the knee and everything else that I could, we probably got it down to 700 or so and we were able to move it with an engine hoist.

P8250006.jpg

Thanks for the info, guys.

Steve

I had to give away my Brainard horizontal before I moved, so looking for something to replace it.

Looking for a small horizontal with an overarm stout enough to mount my M-head to. Need to be able to get it into the walkout basement pretty much by myself, so nothing big.

This Cincinnati is for sale locally:
View attachment 334430

Blowing up the picture doesn't get any detail on the door. It looks like it says "No 2", but the number 2 in the 1903 and 1907 catalogs looks like a much bigger machine.

The machines smaller than the No 2 in those catalogs don't have back gear.

Table is kinda narrow with only one slot and I can't find ANY Cincinnati machines with a single-slot table.

Any ideas?

Steve

Van Norman 12's show up with some reasonable frequency... a month ago one sold at auction in Union City NJ for $200 or so, with collets. Maybe that would be stout and yet not massive?

-Phil

Van Norman 12's show up with some reasonable frequency

Given the size of the column and knee, I think it would be too heavy for me right now.

Looks nice, though.

32618-D.jpg

Steve

Back