What's new
What's new

Old Hendey Id

Razorback71

Plastic
Just picked up an old Hendey cone head with serial #2535. It also has a small brass tag with L-91 stamped on it. I’m new to this and would appreciate any information I can get on it. Thanks!

Razorback,
Mine is #8851, Hendeyman's records showed it to be 1906.
That early number should make yours older.
spaeth

Razorback71:

The records are very incomplete when dealing with the older Hendey products. It would appear that your lathe was built during June or
July of 1898. The year 1898 was a transition year for Hendey lathes, it was the year that they introduced the Taper Cone Bearing. The
records don't indicate when the change took place and knowing Hendey policies, the old style Spindle Bearing lathes were still being
produced along side the new Taper Spindle Bearing lathes until supplies were used up. At this point, only you can verify the type of
Bearings fitted to your lathe. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. In fact, as
of 1948, Hendey decided not to supply any repair parts for any pre-Tie Bar Lathe. Fortunately, a complete set of drawings for this style
of lathe has survived, but on microfilm. We are now in the process of digitizing all of the microfilm records, but it will be at least
until the end of the year before these pre-1898 drawings can be printed out. Normally, on machines this old, I can't tell you the name
of the original owner, usually, I am lucky to tell you the size of your lathe. In this case it was included in the records. Your lathe
is a 16 X 7 size and the original owner was the State of New York, Highway Department, Syracuse, New York.

Out of curiosity, where do you live in Arkansas? I have a friend at Tumbling Shoals and relatives in Prairie Grove.

Hendeyman

Thank you for all the information. I’m looking forward to getting it set up, learning more and trying it out. It appears, to me anyway, to be in fairly good shape for its age.

Here are some pictures (if I can figure it out)
19EDAD69-D314-4826-86ED-F1687CED224F.jpg46C8C659-70C7-4334-9E3D-DCF094603E6C.jpg12DAAAE6-CE48-45F8-B556-CDB16583AA0C.jpgE8451C10-3113-4170-B8E3-8033812FFE58.jpg7423E4AF-F774-4260-A8A8-C34771509A50.jpg

Thank you for the information. I live in Royal, just west of Hot Springs. I have some friends that live near Prairie Grove also

It appears you have the plain bearings and if they are not too wore out, easier to adjust! Machine looks quite unmolested for it's age too! [Two BIGASS thumbs up here.]

Back