Old Hendey lathe crossfeed help needed- any stubborn bolt removal tips? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hendeyman may have the bolt drawing? Easy to make them from such. He would need your serial and where the bolt is used

2. Likes ILerik liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My apron on my 1903 Hendey was held on with regular 1/2" socket head cap screws. They fit perfectly. Some previous owner had changed them from the slotted screws [which fasten everything else]. Since they worked SO well, I reused them, [HORRORS]when I restored it. Honestly, no one who has seen the machine since, has pointed out the fact that those 4 fasteners are NOT factory, or even period correct.

4. Likes ILerik liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just had to remove the hanger bracket for the tail end of the lead screw from that 2nd Hendey - 1 of the screws wouldn't come out even after taking a 10mm hex driver and grinding it to tightly fit the slot and putting it first on a hammer screwdriver and then on the pneumatic impact driver. I've come to a deep and abiding hatred of slotted screws. Incidentally the day after I drilled the silly thing out I was walking through Harbor freight and they have some HUGE flathead drivers designed for sockets/impacts. I think the biggest one is almost the perfect size for the Hendey Screws now that I hopefully don't need it.
    1/2 in. Drive Screwdriver Bit Socket Set, 6 Pc.

6. Likes dundeeshopnut, ILerik liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, just wanted to chime in and say I just had to take off the same screws on my 12 x 6 1925 Hendey, and that set from harbor freight and a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar made the job super easy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dundeeshopnut View Post
    My apron on my 1903 Hendey was held on with regular 1/2" socket head cap screws. They fit perfectly. Some previous owner had changed them from the slotted screws [which fasten everything else]. Since they worked SO well, I reused them, [HORRORS]when I restored it. Honestly, no one who has seen the machine since, has pointed out the fact that those 4 fasteners are NOT factory, or even period correct.
    Thanks for the tip- I will look into that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bones525 View Post
    Yep, just wanted to chime in and say I just had to take off the same screws on my 12 x 6 1925 Hendey, and that set from harbor freight and a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar made the job super easy.
    This is good to know- hopefully the next Hendey owner with this issue will find this thread and get to take it apart "the easy way".