What's new
What's new

Old jib crane

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
A friend has this in his barn. The beam is solid steel, probably 1" x 4" or so. I figured maybe it was a shop made one-off, but my dad says he saw one like it years ago, so maybe they were factory made. Anybody else seen one?
713da841ae4e8dc7017a657c39f4c84b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seems light duty. Might be trick of the lens, but it looks like it's in the process of bending and collapsing.

I think that's just the lens, but other cranes are designed with the jib curved upward to counteract deflection. Otherwise gravity can make the trolley run to the end of the jib.

Probably lens distortion, as I didn't notice it in person, and the trolley doesn't tend to rest at that spot.

Andy:

Westfield - westside of North Portage outside the gray clapboard machine shop just beyond Joe LaPort's auto wrecking. Been gone for at least 20 years.

Jim C.

Andy:

Westfield - westside of North Portage outside the gray clapboard machine shop just beyond Joe LaPort's auto wrecking. Been gone for at least 20 years.

Jim C.
Hi Jim,

That was Red Wilkins' shop, and the same crane that dad was referencing. I remembered that there was a crane outside, but not that it was this style. I was in Red's a few times as a kid. I would have liked to have gone to that auction. The building is for sale again, but I suspect any features from the old shop are long gone.

Little Joe's is gone, too... Jerry sold the property and spent the fall scrapping all the cars. I bought some neat stuff that was shoved into the back corners of the shop.

Back