What's new
What's new

Old L&S, Ohio Shaper, Western drill at auction today.

rj1939

Stainless
Went to an auction a little over an hour away today. Didn't stay, don't know WHEN they would have finally got to the machines, plus, I'm just not able to do anything with them now. The auctioneers photos were crap as usual, mine are better.
0518190907.jpg0518190907a.jpg0518190908.jpg0518190908a.jpg0518190909.jpg

One last pic of the lathe 0518190909a.jpg
The shaper 0518190909b.jpg0518190910.jpg0518190910b.jpg0518190911.jpg It was a fab shop, but the lathe, shaper and radial drill were in an ajoining lean to, so they were out of harms way a bit.

Finally the drill, don't know how it was going to come out of the lean to, it was at least a foot too tall for the doorways. 0518190912.jpg0518190913.jpg0518190913a.jpg
We didn't stay, since there was no telling when they were going to get around to the machines, a lot of stuff there.......about a two day sale. My days of accumulating are/need to be over.

In the 4th photo of the OP's second post, one can spot what looks like a #1 Kempsmith plain miller. Missing one of the back gear guards. Given that it has "Kempsmith" cast into the column underneath the shelf, I speculate it to be no earlier than about 1920. That particular style of column was introduced around 1916 or so. My 1918 #1 plain has a plain column. The only cast-in identifier/name, is on the door on the opposite side of the machine, and on the patent and feed change tags (which are stamped and cast brass, respectively). Photos in various manuals and sales material that show the Kempsmith name cast into the column are usually dated 1926 or after.

Wouldn't mind collecting some parts off that Kempsmith, or even the whole mill. Could use another over-arm pendant, and that rapid traverse housing on the end of the bed. Some maroon decades ago left the feed on, and ran my machine's table to the far right end and busted the housing. Welded up and working, but looks like crap.

I didn't get any good pics of the Kempsmith. There seemed to be no interest in the machine tools, aside from a couple of guys looking at the radial drill. The Kempsmith looked like it might have been the most recently used of the equipment

I fear it was a good day for the scrap man.

You never know you might get a second chance to buy them on Ebay or Craigslist for some unreal 4 digit price tag. Saw a horizontal boring mill sell for 750. Saw it later for 7500.

You never know you might get a second chance to buy them on Ebay or Craigslist for some unreal 4 digit price tag. Saw a horizontal boring mill sell for 750. Saw it later for 7500.

It is possible, but the shaper and mill were the only things that would come out of the lean to easily. Once the drive conversion was off the lathe, it would come out ok................aside from weighing 10 to 12,000. I didn't see anything there capable of picking up the lathe. Whoever moves the lathe and drill, will have to work for it.

I've seen this on several occasions. I was at a big facility that has some beautiful machines, they were in rough condition on the exterior from sitting for years, but you could tell they were well cared for machines that were in excellent condition when they started sitting. Everything sold for scrap, including the smallest Cinci Hydrotel I have ever seen. The guy who bought it, bought it to scrap the lead counterweight, which I guess is around 600lbs. There were a couple machines I was interested in, but the rigger wanted too much to move them. Hard to justify a $2k moving bill for a $500 machine. There was a small Lucas boring mill (small being probably 15k lbs) that I was somewhat interested in. Buyer purchased it for $1500, saw it on ebay shortly after for $15k. Same with a small Devlieg 36B(?) I bid on. Pretty nice machine, in running condition, went for $4500. Saw it on ebay the next week for $18k. AND IT SOLD!

Pretty nice machine, in running condition, went for $4500. Saw it on ebay the next week for $18k. AND IT SOLD!

Buy low then sell high. Isn't that the American way?

Do you make and sell a product? Or Resell a product? Do you normally see a 300% markup?

No, I do not view that as the "American Way".

It happens................what is really annoying, having to listen to the POS crow like a banty rooster over it for months.

Back