What's new
What's new

Old leblonde lathe

Shovelpan69

Plastic
Wondering if anyone has used this particular lathe and has any information on it. All I know is it is a 1916 Leblonde and it has all british standard thread. Thanks in advance for any info.

KIMG0351.jpgKIMG0352.jpgKIMG0353.jpgKIMG0354.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Others will likely chime in soon but I would suggest that you use the search function, you will find 4 pages of posts on LeBlond on this forum. As of a few years ago if you called LeBlond with your serial number (tailstock end, front way) they could tell you the manufacturing date and sometimes who originally bought it,accessories etc. One forum member (mister honey) has a lot of early LeBlond information.

A few measurements such as swing, length of bed would help.

Congratulations, LeBlond's are well built lathes.

Dave

Its a "regular" (not Heavy Duty) quick change lathe from a little after this 1911 scan - which has the older "flat face" apron

As to the "boxed" head stock, that is some PO'S "improvement" since Le Blond had at least TWO gear head head stock designs by that date

Yours may be something other than 14"

Attachments

• LB 14 Reg QC 1911.jpg
    LB 14 Reg QC 1911.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 720
Ok cool now that this thread is working I'll do a little more explaining.

So I wrote up a post 3 separate times and it wouldn't post or the thread link was broken so the last one I just posted a short thing to make sure it would work.

Anyway hi everyone I'm shovelpan69 I build 70's style choppers as a hobby and I am a TIG welder for a living specializing in aluminum alloys. I got this thing for what seemed like a good deal to me however Im new to machining and machining equipment, everything up to this point has been built with jand tools or asking someone else to do it. So at this point when you guys say headstock, swing, and bed length I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean, I'll do some looking.

Dave. I called leblonde and all they could tell me is it was an old 1916 leblonde that was it. There are some attachments and I was told one is a tapered attachment but again I'm not sure.

I've started cleaning it and I was planning on removing the shroud that covers the gears but I was unsure if I should do that in case it holds bushings that hold the other end of the gears.

KIMG0356.jpgKIMG0357.jpgKIMG0358.jpgKIMG0360.jpg

The headstock is the big end with gearbox and chuck, tailstock end is the other end of machine, the tailstock itself can be moved along the ways as needed. Swing is the largest diameter of stock you can swing without hitting the ways. Bed length would be length of the ways in my mind, but most refer to Center to Center, which is the longest part you can get between a center in headstock and tailstock.

And the taper attachment, the part hanging of back side of the cross slide is for turning tapers.

Back