What's new
What's new

Old machine rescue trip. Interesting stops??

shapeaholic

Stainless
Well, I left home this morning from Kemptville ( near Ottawa Ontario) to head to the left coast to "hopefully" retreive a parts Hendey T&G with some interesting accessories.
We will be headed across the northern US to Billings and eventually to the Portland area.
Can any one suggest some "gotta see" sites along the way?
also hoping to find a way around Chicago so that we don't get into bad traffic and toles.

all suggestions considered and appreciated.

Pete

Subscribed, I want to hear about this T&G!

I grew up in Montana, Idaho, and Oregon, they are beautiful places. Enjoy the drive.

That route is fine until one gets to Sault St Marie. There are no good east west routes through the UP and northern WI. Need to get all the way to Minneapolis or Fargo before one finds another freeway. Of course there are roads but it's slow going.

also hoping to find a way around Chicago so that we don't get into bad traffic and toles. Pete

Bring many one dollar bills and many quarters and dimes and nickles.
If you go through Chicago at night, not all of the toll booths are manned.
They have automated machines that don't give change, so unless you want to pay more you need the exact amount.
You can also use a credit or debit card.

I just went through Chicago a few weeks ago. What a pain.
Went down through at night, which was not too bad, but came back through on a Saturday late afternoon. That was a real pain.
A lot of road construction and rough roads and speed limit at 45 mph through Gary.
You could take I80 past Chicago to I39 and up I39 through Rockford which connects up with I90 and then I94.
Just a little longer, but might be worth it.

Are you going through Chicago and up through Wisconsin?

Rob

If you are going to spend time in traffic in Chicago any way, why not Sarnia to Port Huron to Ludington Michigan and cross into Wisconsin on the Badger steam ferry. Saves two hours drive time instead of the U.P. route.

Ludington MI To Manitowoc WI SS Badger People & Car Ferry

When I go to Wausau, Wisconsin, and beyond, I usually cross the mighty Mac and go through the U.P.. Not too bad with the new higher speed limits.

Mackinac Bridge Authority, St. Ignace Michigan

Of course, Windsor to the Henry Ford adds days, instead of hours, and still leaves you with the Chicago parking lot.

The Henry Ford – Museum, Greenfield Village & Rouge Factory

Mike

Just over the bridge from Portland in Vancouver Wa is the old Kaiser shipyards, There is a tower to climb up to get a good view of the whole site. The old buildings are still there and you can drive around them since they are all rented out to various tenants. Sadly the ship ways where the ships were rolled into the river are gone now, filled in with dirt.
Henry J Kaiser Shipyard Memorial in Vancouver | Henry J Kaiser Shipyard Memorial SE Marine Park Way, Vancouver, WA 98661 Yahoo - US Local
Another good place to go while you are there is fort Vancouver, Check what days they are open and when the shops are active.
Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver | Fort Vancouver National Historic Site 612 E Reserve St, Vancouver, WA 98661 Yahoo - US Local
Plan 20-30 min to look at shipyars and you should spend a couple hours exploring the fort. Both are very close to I-5

Yes on avoiding Chicongo, we went to pick up the daughter at O'hare a year or so ago...............my wife said: Never again. The toll roads are beyond ridiculous.............buying a pass on-line might make life better, but too late now.

You mentioned pick up in Billings? Not machinery related, but if you like hiking and fishing in beautiful mountains, strongly suggest basing yourself a few miles further west in Bozeman MT. Not Canmore, but about as good as you can get for a nice mountain town in the lower 48... :-)

Lucky7

I've pulled a 12,000# fifth wheel through the Chicago area on I-94 several times and it is doable. Just make sure to avoid rush hour which I would estimate is from about 6-10 am and 2-8 pm. Keep your eyes on the roads and make sure your electric brakes are working good on the trailer and you will be alright.

You can stay South of the city of Chicago by taking the I-294 tri state tollway and avoid the downtown traffic. As far as buying a toll pass online I'm not aware of anything like that. I bought a Ipass and it saves a considerable amount of money on tolls and time waiting in like for people that wait til they get to the toll booths to start looking for change to feed them. When I bought the Ipass you could only buy them at Osco Jewel drug stores and they don't start working until 24 hours after you activate it so it won't do you any good on the way out there.

Taking the Badger out of Ludington and into Manitowac Wisconsin is also a good option but it will be pricey with a trailer.

Yes on avoiding Chicongo, we went to pick up the daughter at O'hare a year or so ago...............my wife said: Never again. The toll roads are beyond ridiculous.............buying a pass on-line might make life better, but too late now.

I drive in the city fairly often, so I have an ipass. That cuts the toll in half. It's still a horrible rip off.

If you are traveling toward Minneapolis, I recommend stopping at the Leinenkugels brewery in Chippewa Falls, WI.

Back