What's new
What's new

Old machine shop in Alfama district, Lisbon Portugal

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

I spent the month of October in Portugal, working my way from Lisbon north to Porto, then east, then south to the Algarve, then back to Lisbon. One day, while wandering around the Alfama district in Lisbon, this wall of azulejos caught my eye:

PA081077.jpg

If you are not familiar with azulejo art in Portugal, it is a common finishing applied to the exterior of city buildings, maybe just to decorate, or to tell a little story, or, as in this case, to advertise the shop. Each ~6" x 6" tile, in the case of an allegorical panel, is unique and handmade. The tiles in the photos would seem to be ~100 years old, and have nicely survived city wear and tear.

Here are some close-ups, where it becomes clear that this was some sort of manufacturing/machine shop:

PA081079.jpgPA081075.jpgPA081076.jpg

Does anyone happen to know about this shop? I was quite impressed that someone saw fit to invest such a significant art work for their shop exterior.

Thanks, and regards.

Attachments

• PA081075.jpg
    PA081075.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 153
Very nice, Seeing this form of high art is most pleasing to the eye, These folks were obviously proud enough of their craft skills to spend a considerable sum on decorating the factory which was the pride & joy of the owner, Such high décor is or was not generally a feature found in Britain, Although in the past two examples spring to mind One being Inverness Iron foundry & another foundry building in Bonnybridge , Both in Scotland, Both had internal workshop scenes on the sides of the building, and both very nice, Unfortunately both institutions fell victim to the rapacious march of the city developers , And nowadays we have another scourge that of the paint spray can vandal's and arsonist's

Back