What's new
What's new

Old Stile Grease Fittings

Mr. Fixit

Aluminum
Hi All,

I have a Brook 18" Shaper made by IMC Newey in Nottingham England. The attached shows what I believe to be the predecessor to the Zerk grease fitting, but that's just my guess. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, what kind on tool greases this?

Thank you,

Steve

Attachments

• Brook Motor Fitting.jpg
    Brook Motor Fitting.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Brook Motor Fitting 2.jpg
    Brook Motor Fitting 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 263
They are grease cups. You manually fill them with grease from a tub or cartridge and screw the threaded cap on until you feel some resistance as it comes in contact with the grease. As the machine requires grease you tighten the cap, usually about half a turn or so. In most cases the bearing is visible and you can see a slight amount exiting the bearing as the cap is tightened.

They are still sold through McMaster:
McMaster-Carr

Here's the directions for operation: "Turn the lid clockwise to force grease down into the bearing. As grease flows out, dispensers compress slightly".

ABM Tools also has several sizes available
Grease Cups – Nut Type

It is a "grease CUP" . You fill the cap/cup with grease and every so often give it a turn,when it runs out of threads you pull the cup/cap off and refill it with grease. You have heard of "cup grease" haven't you?Widely used before grease guns and various styles of quick disconnect fittings were in use,of which "zerk" is only one style. Early 1900s autos were loaded with grease cup fittings. Still saw them as late as the 1950s on things like distributors and generators. Look on the front suspension/axle of a pre 1910 auto.So bottom line the tool you use to fill the cup is your FINGER ! LOL

They are grease cups. You manually fill them with grease from a tub or cartridge and screw the threaded cap on until you feel some resistance as it comes in contact with the grease. As the machine requires grease you tighten the cap, usually about half a turn or so. In most cases the bearing is visible and you can see a slight amount exiting the bearing as the cap is tightened.

McMaster-Carr

Here's the directions for operation: "Turn the lid clockwise to force grease down into the bearing. As grease flows out, dispensers compress slightly".

Grease Cups – Nut Type

Thank you for the explanation. Since they are on an electric motor and the internal bearings are not visible, it never crossed my mind. I had looked for old style grease guns and found a vintage push type so I wasn't sure if the fittings were for those. Anyway, I understand. Thank you..

McMaster-Carr

Grease Cups – Nut Type

Thanks for explanation, I appreciate it..

Might be grease cups.
To me those look more like an oil port with cover, but motor end bells would have to be assembled differently for that to work.

Grease cups usually have finer threads and more volume.

Might be grease cups.
To me those look more like an oil port with cover, but motor end bells would have to be assembled differently for that to work.

Grease cups usually have finer threads and more volume.

Definitely for grease. When I reconditioned the machine the bells were packed with cruddy old grease. I cleaned them out and left them empty (other than the bearings). I was just wondering if there was a special tool, but others have explained.

Thanks.

Finding grease doesn’t mean that’s what the manufacturer intended, just what the last person used.

We have an old wood planer with a bunch of oil fittings same shape and proportions to what you show. Manual for that machine request oil.

I’m not sure yours is for oil, but without some documentation it may be hard to know for sure.

Back