What's new
What's new

Old Vintage Vise Identification

flyguy48

Plastic
Hello I am new to the site and would like to get some help identifying an old vise I found at a yard sale recently. Any information would be helpful to include brand, type use etc. I cannot find any marking on the vise but have not removed the board it is mounted on to see if there is a name or number there. It is painted in a dark green color and is quite thick. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Flyguy48IMG_3679.jpgIMG_3677.jpgIMG_3680.jpg

It is a cheap light-duty vise suited to homeowners and farmers. The lever for clamping the swivel base sets it apart as possibly being patented, but the absence of a name or patent date suggest that the maker was copying an older design from a different maker or just did not care about recognition.

I would say cheap when new and not worth much today, and knowing the maker would add no value.

Larry

It looks like it is in nice shape from the looks of the jaws and anvil pad. Is that lever? on the bottom a cam lock? It looks like (in the second picture) that the base and vice frame are "keyed" together? How about some details or pictures of it apart. thanks Tom

Need better pics of base area to be sure but it looks like base is considerably bigger than the vise. maybe a smaller vise fitted to a larger base that had a broken vise?

Tom, Thanks for replying to my post. I have attached better pics after I took the vise apart. I still have seen no markings what so ever. the jaws are 2" wide and open to 3". It seems to be fairly well made and is somewhat heavy for it's small size. It had been mounted to the board for a long time due to the staining left on the board. I assume it was bought attached to it. If you need further info please let me know, Thanks again. RobertIMG_3692.jpgIMG_3693.jpgIMG_3694.jpgIMG_3696.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 165
Old, light duty, but probably still better than most on the market today that are low priced... Looks like it is in pretty good shape and probably will serve you well... Ramsay 1:)

Looks nice for a small vise, the better pics of the base confirm to me it all belongs together. I like how the teeth on the base can engage the little nub to positively lock the rotation or swing the base 180º and have infinite adjustment with no teeth.
Post #5 in this other thread mentions may be a good place to look for more info on your little vise:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...prentiss-21-vise-jaw-related-question-358850/

Last edited:

Back