What's new
What's new

Old Wagner Electric Corp AC Motors

Pauly33

Plastic
Howdy,

I ran into a pair of old Wagner motors. I've been Google'n the heck out of them but I can't seem to find much info, especially on this type with the oil ports. Can anyone shed any light on these? Can I use regular AC motor oil? I assume the oil lubes the bearings and flows out the bottom? Should I flush them out before I run them?

Wagner Electric Corporation
Alternating Current Motor
TYPE: KAR
FRAME: 65
MOD: X24 B 1412
HP: 1/4
RPM: 1725
PH: 1
CYCLES: 60
110 VOLTS 4 AMP
220 VOLTS 2 AMP
RATING: CONT
C: 40
NO: 3S57101
10172H211

Thanks

1.jpg2.jpg3.JPG5.jpgports.jpg

Last edited:
Good old USA-made dual voltage motors. Run them on 110v or 220v, whatever your preference (ohm's law: double the voltage=half the amperage). There should be a small metal plate somewhere on the motor with the 110v and 220v wiring schematics. An occasional squirt of light oil in the oil ports is fine. I use Vactra spindle oil on mine because that's what's in the nearest oil can. Mine has been quietly running my Waterbury die grinder for about 30 years and who knows what before that.

Tom B.

Thanks Tom! I was hoping to find a plate with the wiring diagram as most of my other motors have but there's nothing on the outside. Could it be under the rectangular box mounted on the side or maybe on the inside? Do you know if these motors are reversible through wiring or do they need to have the power-sources on the windings relocated? Thx for the help!

Info is usually on the inside of the cover plate of wiring box.

The pics show a typical motor, the oiling is different just because of access. The shaft end would usually have something blocking the end (pulley, fan housing, etc) so the oil port is extended.

There was a standard for marking leads on dual-voltage motors

The was a standard for marking the leads of a dual-voltage motor. The standard may still be in effect.
The marks may be numeric tags or rings of white paint on the motor leads inside the junction box.
My experience is that the rings of white paint "want" to flake off and be lost forever.
Details of this are in the archives of PM and are no doubt posted on the net.

Yep that's an oldie but goodie alright... There maybe a wiring diagram under the connection cover....As for as oil in those old motors, I like to use oil from a "zoom spout" oiler in motors such as these.... The oil in the zoom spout is highly refined turbine oil and does not tend to gum in electric motors..Many old motors were ruined by someone using automobile motor oil in the bearings...Ramsay 1:)

Thx for the info everyone! I was able to verify that it was plugged into a 110 outlet so I wired up a new plug and fired it up for a minute. It ran great but it is counter-clockwise. I can make it work if it's non-reversible but I'd really like to get it reversed. I popped off both covers and still no diagram. I've attached a couple more pics for reference, I marked where the hot and neutral were attached. I'll check out the archives like SouthBend recommended. Hopefully I can find something.

8.jpg9.jpg

I have the same exact motor, but it is being used to run a band saw. spins right up, a little pulsing noise when running, when not running the main shaft can be moved in and out close to 3/4 of an inch. When running the shaft doesnt seem to be moving in and out any. How would i go about changing the (bushings? Sleeves?) It defiantly does not have bearings.

I can find no info on my motor online.

Wagner Electric Corporation
Alternating Current Motor
TYPE: RA
FRAME: 65X
MOD: C2141 K1635
HP: 1/4
RPM: 1725
PH: 1
CYCLES: 60
110 VOLTS 4 AMP
220 VOLTS 2 AMP
RATING: CONT
C: 40
NO: 3X
Code: SK
Protector: 2P33

I recently bought a Wagner RA motor. What puzzles me is that it has a air hose connected to one end. What is this hose for? Can it be to suck the ozone smell out of the workshop? Have never seen this type of motor before and it is the most beautyful machine I have seen. It runs a lathe that I bought for my brother.

Back